winsxs folder help RRS feed

• Question

• my winsxs folder is 9.82 GBs and i have sp 1. i know i can run vsp1cln.exe to help. i was wondering if its safe/ possible to run vsp1cln.exe then update to sp2, and if i can does sp2 have the same problem with the winsxs folder.

i need help on this because every 2 days or so vista gets full on me, and  most of the time i have to delete system restore point, i have a 32.9 GBs c drive which visa is on  and about half of that is the windows folder which is 15.6 GBs big, and my d drive is partioned from the c drive and that and is 33.2 GBs but the problem with that is my d drive does work properly i can fill it about 10 GBs full and then it gives me a data redundancy error, and thats  only on the d drive. but the data redundancy error is in essue for another time.

so i need to find a way to make space and also i dont have a windows vista disk. vista just came with my  laptop no disk with it. so yay :) , ha sarcasm.

and if you were wondering what on the rest of the c drive hes a list of the root

c drive is 32.9 GB

windows folder is 15.6 GB

programs files folder is 4.10 GB

programdata folder is 724 MB

users folder is  (one user) 8.64 GB

pagefile.sys 2.28 GB

so you can see that i need space
    Friday, January 29, 2010 7:06 AM

All replies

• Here are a few things to do to reclaim disk space. Most of them are straightforward but if you feel apprehensive or unsure about running something, just ignore it. Here they are:

1. There is no harm in running VSP1CLN.EXE again. Depending upon what has been installed, you may gain a little disk space.
    2. Remove temporary files. In a Run window (Windows key+R), type %temp% and press Enter. All the files that show can be safely deleted, however, there may be a few obstinate ones that refuse to go.
    3. Delete any temporary files that may be left over from CD and DVD burning. Navigate to the hidden folder C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Temporary Burn Folder and delete all the files.
    4. Remove any programs that are no longer used, via Control Panel > Classic View > Programs and Features. You may also want to turn some Windows features off (in the left pane).
    5. If you don't use Hibernation you can save the equivalent in hard drive space as the amount of RAM that is installed by turning it off. In a Run window (Windows key+R), type powercfg.exe -h off (note the two spaces) and press Enter. To turn it back on type powercfg.exe -h on and press Enter.
    6. Reduce the amount of space used by system restore. Open an elevated command prompt by clicking the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then ‘Run as Administrator’. To display the current parameters type (or Copy and mouse right-click > Paste) “vssadmin list shadowstorage” (not the quotes but the two spaces) and press Enter. To reduce (or increase) the disk space allocated, type (or Copy & Paste) “vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=c: /for=c: /maxsize=5GB” (not the quotes but the five spaces) and press Enter. This example assumes changing the space on drive C to 5GB. You may find that all the restore points have been removed after resizing so make sure the computer is behaving itself before reducing the space allocation. Also, make a manual restore point immediately after resizing.
    7. Reduce the space used by the Recycle Bin. Right-click the Bin > Properties > Custom Size and amend as necessary. Also, if you have a separate hard drive, more space can be released by moving the pagefile to it.
    8. If you install SP2 and are happy with its performance, you can use the Microsoft program COMPCLN to remove files that SP2 has replaced. NOTE that once this program has been run you will not be able to remove SP2. To determine the disk space saved, have a look at the Properties (numbers and sizes of folders and files) in the \Windows folder both before and after running the program.
    To run it, click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt then ‘Run as Administrator’. Copy & Paste or type %windir%\system32\compcln.exe and press Enter. If you Copy & Paste the command, use mouse right-click to Paste it into the prompt. Type Y to the continue message.

If you want to know which files have been removed, Copy & Paste and run the following dir(ectory) commands, the first one before running compcln and the second after running it:
    dir "%windir%\" /b/s/a:-d>"%userprofile%\desktop\FilesBefore.txt"
    dir "%windir%\" /b/s/a:-d>"%userprofile%\desktop\FilesAfter.txt"

Close the command prompt and double-click FilesBefore.txt then FilesAfter.txt on the Desktop to display the differences.

Friday, January 29, 2010 8:49 AM
  • thanks I will do those's steps tomorrow, right now i am tried and i have class in the morning. also with me being tried i just glanced over most of it but understood most of that(right now). but could you just give me a yes or no to running vsp1cln.exe then upgraded to sp2. i really appreciate the great instructions for the disk space problem, i just wanted to be sure it's ok to do what I'm thinking about to do. and thanks again also i do use sleep / Hibernate mode quite a bit
    Friday, January 29, 2010 9:16 AM
  • As I said in my #1 above, it's perfectly OK to run VSP2CLN again. However, it may not find very much to delete.
    Friday, January 29, 2010 9:37 AM