Error: Cannot copy file: Cannot read from the source file or disk. RRS feed

• Question

• Have SEVERAL documents on a usb flash drive (back it up every month) and yesterday when I tried to perform my monthly back-up (copying files from flash drive to a network drive) I received the following error: Cannot copy file:  Cannot read from the source file or disk.

I am able to copy the files over one-by-one, however this would take me more time than I have right now!

I have no idea how to find the file(s) on there that might be "bad" without going into every individual file which would be terribly time consuming!  By accident, I did find a file named: SMRTNTKY, that has renamed all the folders in it with unrecognizable names. 

Without going into more specifics that seems to be general description of my problem.

AND THIS is where my computer savvy ENDS! I have read and re-read these posts and I just simply don't understand enough to try the solutions suggested for fear I will lose my data and in the end finding out I did something wrong and could have saved my data after all!

So, if there's ANYONE reading this with a solution to my issue that can put it into "normal person computer terms" and assure me I won't lose my data as a result of trying.....PLEASE, please Help me!

Thanks,
    Shayla~ Needing HELP in Wisconsin

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 4:25 PM