MDT Bootable media for win 10 RRS feed

• Question

• ok so i am relatively new to MDT. we are unable to use pxe boot in our environment. we have to make a boot CD to connect to our deployment share. we dont want to put our ISO on a Dual layer or a 4.7 and give it our to our customers. is there a way that i can make a boot CD and just have the MDT wizard pop up and pull the ISO from the share instead of putting it on the DVD. We arent able to use USB either. i know i used imagex in the past to pull images from a share. is this possible with mdt?
    • Edited by EADMINER Monday, May 16, 2016 4:10 PM grammatical
    Monday, May 16, 2016 4:09 PM

All replies

• Hello Eadminer,

By default the litetouch ISO that MDT creates does not store any of the deployment share files on it. It just has the WinPE boot wim which has the location of the deployment share from the boot settings ini file. I have used a program called Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive from the ISO that MDT provides.

If MDT is setup to generate litetouch iso files, you will find them in the boot folder on the deployment share called LiteTouchPE_x86.iso and LiteTouchPE_x64.iso. If they are not there go to deployment share properties from the workbench and under the Windows PE tab choose generate a litetouch bootable ISO image. Then update your deployment share.

MDT can also create offline media under Advanced Configuration > Media in the deployment share workbench. That puts deployment share files on the media.

Regards,

Darren

• Edited by dlofstedt Tuesday, May 17, 2016 1:00 AM typo
    • Proposed as answer by JoeZeppy Tuesday, May 17, 2016 4:18 PM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 12:59 AM
  • As dlofstedt says, that is the normal behavior of MDT, a boot image is created and connects to the UNC path defined when you set up your share. An ISO should be created when you update your share, which can be burned to bootable cd.

• Proposed as answer by JoeZeppy Tuesday, May 17, 2016 4:22 PM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 4:22 PM