Windows 7 Installer problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everybody

Here is my story:-

Wanted to reinstall java. so tried updating java (Java 6 for win 7 64 bit). Got error 1723 while re-installing Java. So stopped windows installer service and then deleted registry key at >>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer.

But thereafter when tried to locate and install win installer, found no distributable (Win installer 5 or higher). On this forum also i was reading that it ships with win 7. So is there a  way i can reinstall win 7 installer??

Tried to reinstall/upgrade etc using MSIexec (various switch) but getting the messages that installer package could not be opened/ could not be found etc.

Finally in the services also now windows installer services could not be found.

BTW i am using win 7 home premium 64 bit

Thanks

Sunday, May 8, 2011 2:23 PM

Answers

• Go to the admin tools and select computer management

select services and check to see if its running and set for auto

My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT

Remote Assistance is available for a fee.

I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, May 25, 2011 7:40 AM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:41 PM

All replies

• Vegan

Issue is not Java but windows installer and msi services  

Monday, May 9, 2011 3:38 PM
  • Can you install other programs with Windows Installer, for example, Windows Live Messenger or Office? If you can, we can confirm that Windows Installer is fine in your system. In this case I suggest you download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove components of JAVA, then reinstall JAVA.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:15 AM
  • Well i have searched it with bing and google but the correct answer/solution is still eluding me . As you see the problem is not with java but with windows installer. Now i don't see the windows installer in the services panel also. I think only option is left to restore the windows to some previous restore point. Anyways thanks for the help
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:35 PM
  • Hi

I tried windows installer clean up utility and some other CLI commands including MSIExec /unregister and MSIExec /regserver but getting no results. The problem is with windows installer service.

Thanks

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:47 PM