none
Backup of DPM 2010 with DPM 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• So we just built our new DPM 2012 box and was hoping that we could backup our current DPM 2010 with it. Will there be any issues attempting this?

Trying to install the agent on the 2010 box gives me the error "Protection Agent cannot be Installed on machine where DPM is installed"

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:46 PM

Answers

• Hi JustusIV,

When settings DPM secondary protection, you need to "attach" (Not "install") agent from secondary DPM to primary DPM.

Regarding your question, DPM 2012 could not be secondary protection of Primary DPM 2010 server.

(You will have error message: Error ID 307 - The protection agent operation failed because DPM detected an unknown DPM protection agent on YourDPMServerName.)

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Hi,

The DPM Servers must be running the same major and minor versions if you want to enable secondary or cyclic protection.

IE: Both DPM Servers must be running DPM 2012 and the same QFE level.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:08 PM

All replies

• Hi JustusIV,

When settings DPM secondary protection, you need to "attach" (Not "install") agent from secondary DPM to primary DPM.

Regarding your question, DPM 2012 could not be secondary protection of Primary DPM 2010 server.

(You will have error message: Error ID 307 - The protection agent operation failed because DPM detected an unknown DPM protection agent on YourDPMServerName.)

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:56 PM
  • I was actually trying to manually install it.... to no avail.

Seems odd i cant backup an older DPM box with a newer one. What about a good way to get the data from the older one to the newer one?

Or should i upgrade the 2010 box then once it is 2012 i can have the 2012 backup the upgraded box.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:24 PM
  • Hi,

The DPM Servers must be running the same major and minor versions if you want to enable secondary or cyclic protection.

IE: Both DPM Servers must be running DPM 2012 and the same QFE level.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:08 PM