none
TPM 1.2 UEFI and Secure Boot

Question

• Hello,

I have a machine that isn't seeing the TPM chip. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, UEFI and Secure Boot are both enabled. Do I need TPM 2.0 for it to work? We use bitlocker so if 2.0 is required, we will have to revert back to legacy BIOS.

Thanks

Monday, March 13, 2017 6:07 PM

Answers

• No, TPM 2.0 is not needed when these options are set. You may confuse it with the following:

If we have a TPM 2.0 and use it with bitlocker, then we have to use an UEFI installation.

If "the machine" doesn't see it, I wonder, where you are looking. Activated in the bios but invisible in device manager?

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

NO, TPM is not required. Secure Boot does not require a Trusted Platform Module (TPM).

BitLocker could be enabled without TPM if you set "Allow BitLocker without a compatible TPM" group policy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 1:40 AM
  • No, TPM 2.0 is not needed when these options are set. You may confuse it with the following:

If we have a TPM 2.0 and use it with bitlocker, then we have to use an UEFI installation.

If "the machine" doesn't see it, I wonder, where you are looking. Activated in the bios but invisible in device manager?

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:58 AM
  • Hi Ronald,

Not sure what changed, but I re-imaged it again and now the TPM appears in Device Manager. Bitlocker is now working as expected, I'm guessing something went wrong with the TPM driver originally. Nothing to my knowledge changed in the BIOS. Anyway, considering this case closed. Thanks everyone
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 1:38 PM
  • Hi NS,

So was your issue resolved?

If yes, please mark the helpful reply as answer in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 8:21 AM