none
Unable to apply User settings as Administrator RRS feed

• Question

• I am logged on to the systems default administrator account and get this message everytime I try to make changes to a "User" group account.

Message: "Some restrictions were not applied because the user account you are logged in to does not have permission to make the changes. Log in to an account that has sufficiant permissions, and then try again."

I got no Idea what to do from here.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 4:36 PM

Answers

• Hi OpenCircut,

Some suggestions for your reference:

1. Create a new user to test.

2. Create a new administrator account to test.

3. Temporarily disable your security programs.

If the issue persists, would you please capture a screenshot of the error to me:

------------------------

1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard when error occurs.

2. Click "Start", click "Run", type "mspaint", and click "OK".

3. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit Menu, click Save under the File menu, type a file name for the snap shot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", click “Desktop” on the left pane, and click Save.

4. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment to: v-shshao@microsoft.com

Best Regards,

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 12:19 PM

All replies

• Hi OpenCircut,

Some suggestions for your reference:

1. Create a new user to test.

2. Create a new administrator account to test.

3. Temporarily disable your security programs.

If the issue persists, would you please capture a screenshot of the error to me:

------------------------

1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard when error occurs.

2. Click "Start", click "Run", type "mspaint", and click "OK".

3. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit Menu, click Save under the File menu, type a file name for the snap shot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", click “Desktop” on the left pane, and click Save.

4. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment to: v-shshao@microsoft.com

Best Regards,

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 12:19 PM
  • Well thank you so much. It turns out that it was McAfee 8.5 that was stopping me from making changes. Problem now is that I have an edited version of McAfee that my university's IT branch has given to us, which keeps me from uninstalling it or even controling it in any way shape or form. But I would like to thank you again.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:33 PM
  • Glad to hear that helps! 

Regards,

Thursday, December 6, 2007 10:17 AM
  • Hi,
    I have exactly the same problem. But even if there is antivirus disabled, i still get this error message (i tried with a new account with administrator rights) (exactly same message as in original post)
    It seems the 'Administrator' user is not considered as to be the administrator of the computer any more. I can't send screenshot for now, but the error is displayed in a message box with only button "OK".
    If you have any idea about how to solve this... thanks in advance.
    bests
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 10:14 AM
  • Hi,

Just some thoughts:

If you have some security program installed, we can consider temporarily uninstall them to test.

We can also create a new administrator account to check.

Regards,

Thursday, February 21, 2008 12:00 PM
  • Hi,
    Thanks for your answer. However, there is no additionnal security programs excepts avast antivirus. Moreover, i created a new administrator user, who had the same error message when updating normal user account restrictions.
    What is very strange, is that I have several other computers with identical system (they have been cloned from one computer) on which I can do the operation.
    Is it possible to know which are the technical reasons to make this error appear ?

Bests
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 12:32 PM
  • Hi again everyone,
    I finally made it work again. I imported the user from a backup (on another computer, with exactly the same configuration) and now it works again.
    Hope this will help some of you
    Tuesday, February 26, 2008 11:23 AM
  • Thx for your sharing!

As I know, the error message is not an expected error. It can be related to the some third party security program or security settings on the system. However, as SteadyState will make many configuration changes, if you would like to narrow down this issue, we may need to use some tools such as process monitor:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Regards,

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:13 AM