none
MAPS scan take a long time RRS feed

• Question

• I am running scans on a fairly fast network but scanning sometimes seems to take a long time.
    Scanning 48 machines took about 30 minutes.  After the scan I had 5 failures so I added 2 more computers and tried again.

This time it has taken 50 minutes and it is still going.  At the 50 minute mark the 5 previous failures reported failures again.  The 2 new searches are still going (300 wmi objects found and counting).

The CPU and Memory usage are very low (0% and 2GB).  Running a dual core 2ghz with 8GB of ram.  Lots of drive space.
    The WMI count is moving but very slowly.

no maps settings have been changed.
    Some computers are behind firewalls but the wmi count is still moving.

Eventually I have 20000 machines to scan so this slowness is a concern.  How do get this going quicker or set a time out so I can eliminate problem computers?

Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:58 AM

Answers

• MAP sends many queries to a machine and as those queries are answered, MAP determines what additional queries may need to be made based on the inventory scenarios you chose in the wizard. Ultimately though, the response time of the target machine is what is going to determine how log the process takes. If the target machine is busy or there is network congestion, then it may take longer for the machine to respond. Another potential cause of slow responses is if there are some corrupt WMI classes or even the WMI database.

If 48 machines took 30 minutes, that's a bit slow. And then just 2 more machines made the time jump to over 50 minutes? I'd say there is a problem, but the where is going to take some troubleshooting. Personally, I'd start by looking at you network monitoring system to see if there is a bottleneck there. If that's not a problem, then you can try running WMIDiag on those 2 target machines that made the time jump to see what it reports. FYI, WMIDiag can take several minutes to run depending on how many problems it encounters, so be patient.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by CountryStyle Monday, February 11, 2013 5:34 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 5:24 PM

All replies

• MAP sends many queries to a machine and as those queries are answered, MAP determines what additional queries may need to be made based on the inventory scenarios you chose in the wizard. Ultimately though, the response time of the target machine is what is going to determine how log the process takes. If the target machine is busy or there is network congestion, then it may take longer for the machine to respond. Another potential cause of slow responses is if there are some corrupt WMI classes or even the WMI database.

If 48 machines took 30 minutes, that's a bit slow. And then just 2 more machines made the time jump to over 50 minutes? I'd say there is a problem, but the where is going to take some troubleshooting. Personally, I'd start by looking at you network monitoring system to see if there is a bottleneck there. If that's not a problem, then you can try running WMIDiag on those 2 target machines that made the time jump to see what it reports. FYI, WMIDiag can take several minutes to run depending on how many problems it encounters, so be patient.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by CountryStyle Monday, February 11, 2013 5:34 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 5:24 PM
  • Thanks Michael.

Do we have network issues here?  Yes, trying to work around them because I am not counting on the environment changing.  I have many thousands of machines to run MAP against.

Will you WMIDiag as you suggest to try and find some common issues and write a script to determine which computers will be trouble-some and try to eliminate them.

thanks.

Monday, February 11, 2013 5:34 PM