none
Is Scripting The Answer? - Copy Excel Data to Paste in Web Form RRS feed

• Question

• The title pretty much sums it up. I have data in an Excel Workbook (2010, in case that matters) that I would like to copy then paste into a web form. I want to automate the task because of the large number of blanks in the form and because I'll have to fill this form out many, many more times in the future. I tried posting in an Excel forum, but they needed/requested access to the workbook and web form I was using. Since this is for work, I can't do that. So, I started looking for alternatives. I'm not looking to automate the entire process - just the data entry potion. I basically just want something to Copy, alt+tab, Paste, tab, alt+tab, Down, Down, Copy, alt+tab, Paste, tab, alt+tab, Right, Up, Up, etc., with a variation here and there, until the values in the form are filled out. Each piece of data in Excel is always going to be in the same spot, same with the web form. Admittedly, I'm a total noob when it comes to programming (if that's even the right term in this scenario). From what I've read, scripting can be used to automate "mundane repetitive tasks" (just like this one!), as well as a slew of other nifty things. It seems to me that what I'm looking for should be simple enough (much more simple than some other scripting questions I've come across while researching the topic), but I can't find a definitive answer anywhere.

Is scripting the solution to my problem?

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:35 PM

Answers

• If you are wanting window and keystroke automation (which may work for you), then you probably want to use a different kind of tool such as Autohotkey. Disclaimer: This is not an endorsement for that program, and this forum is not a support forum for it, either.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:54 PM

All replies

• I forgot to include that my PC is Windows 7. I can provide further details, if necessary.
    • Edited by whoa_its_sam Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:42 PM typo
    Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:42 PM
  • If you are wanting window and keystroke automation (which may work for you), then you probably want to use a different kind of tool such as Autohotkey. Disclaimer: This is not an endorsement for that program, and this forum is not a support forum for it, either.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:54 PM
  • Finally, a potential solution. I will take a look into that.

Thanks for the reply, Bill!

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 4:06 PM