Device Stage compatibility. RRS feed

• Question

• hi, my problem is that the device that i plugged in, it only shows the basic device interface and not the one in device stage.
    my device is a Sony Ericsson C905 and it was in the compatible list that support device stage.
    however, the list in microsoft.com was nowhere to be found and replaced. 
    the website for the list was http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/devices.aspx 
    but was redirected when clicked.
    the device stage works with my device in Windows 7 beta, 7000, but not in Windows 7 RC, 7100. 
    may i know how can i get the device stage to work with C905 again? 
    and may i know what are the devices compatible with device stage now?
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 12:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems that the computer didn't collect related device metadata during the installation. I would like to suggest you checking the following location to see if there is any metadata related to Sony Ericsson C905.

%programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceMetadataStore\en-us

The files stored in DeviceMetadataStore are .devicemetadata-ms format.  You can open this file following the steps to see if it is related to Sony Ericsson C905:

1) Copy the file to a directory that you choose on your system. For example, create a folder that is called c:\temp and copy the .devicemetadata-ms file to that folder.
    2) Rename the file so that the extension ends in .cab.
    3) To see the files in the device metadata package, double-click the .cab file.
    4) To open the files, drag them to a location that you choose.
    5) To see the icon, use an icon creating or editing tool.
    6) To view XML files, double-click them and Internet Explorer opens them. Device descriptions are in the Deviceinfo.xml file.

Meanwhile, you can delete this metadata and reinstall the driver to refresh a newer version of device metadata and see if it works.

Best Regards.
    Dale Qiao

Friday, September 18, 2009 7:17 AM
  • hi, thanks for the reply.

so i did the steps. there were 2 files,
    one contained only printers' hardware ID inside and no portable devices under "Package Info"
    and under "Windows Information" it wrote <LaunchDeviceStageOnDeviceConnect>false</LaunchDeviceStageOnDeviceConnect>

another contained some weird hardware ID names.

so if i were to remove this 2 files under 
    %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceMetadataStore\en-us,

none are for the C905.

it'll automatically install new ones?

edit: i tried deleting it, while having a backup copy, but it needed trustedinstaller.exe's approve, i did a google search, it seems like it only appears in Vista, causing much problems in it. cant find it anywhere.
    Friday, September 18, 2009 11:36 AM
  • Yes, generally, users can manually uninstall the device metadata by deleting it from the device metadata cache on the local comptuer. Device metadata packages can be automatically updated on a computer if the device vendor has updated related device metadata package to WMIS. If the device can't obtain device metadata correctly for specific device, I would like to suggest you contacting device vendor to verify that it owns device metadata package. I noticed that you didn't occur this issue in Windows 7 beta, this may happen if device vendor distributes device driver for testing purpose. I believe that the problem can overcome till the official release of Windows 7.

Good Luck
    Dale Qiao

• Edited by Dale Qiao Tuesday, September 29, 2009 3:07 AM
    Monday, September 21, 2009 6:29 AM
  • thanks! but what about the trustedinstaller stuff? i cant delete it from location if i 'dont have permission' from it.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 6:31 AM