Windows 7 black screen with cursor RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am using a HP computer with Windows 7. On Friday night (March 14th, 2014), I was minding my own business when all of a sudden an update (I do not know which kind) forced me to shut down all programs I was running at the time (Internet, etc.) and restarted my computer. When my computer rebooted, all I saw was a black screen with a moving cursor, nothing else. I can still access the Internet via the Task Manager by hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del on the keyboard, which is why I can write this question. This is nicknamed by some as the "Black Screen of Death."

I have tried many ways to fix this problem, but the black screen problem still persists. I have read that it could be a registry problem or some other problem. Is there any hope of fixing this problem without a System Restore or is System Restore my only option? The reason I am asking this is because I have personal data and fear I may lose it all if System Resore is my only option to this problem.

Please respond to this message as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Ethan C. Young

Sunday, March 16, 2014 8:32 PM

Answers

• I shall suggest you to boot in to Safe Mode (or,Safe Mode Networking) and uninstall the Graphic Card Driver from Device Manager.Now restart system and recheck the issue.If it boots to Desktop then update your Graphic Card Driver from the website of the Graphic Card Manufacturer.

S.Sengupta, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

• Marked as answer by 暁北 Tuesday, April 1, 2014 2:24 AM
    Monday, March 17, 2014 5:28 AM
  • Hi,

System restore is an easier way to roll back to a previous time when everything worked fine.

Or perform Startup repair referring the following article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/products/features/startup-repair

Alternative, boot into safe mode, locate to Installed Updates, sort by date, find out and uninstall the updates installed on that day.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:08 AM

All replies

• Could you boot in Safe mode?

If you have  Windows 7 installation disc,insert that and  then perform startup repair

Monday, March 17, 2014 12:19 AM
  • Yes, I am able to boot in Safe Mode (even with Networking), but I do not know what I did with my installion disk.

P.S., if it does come down to me having to perform a System Restore, will I lose my browsing history in Internet Explorer and other personal files made after the starting point I will go back to? I also use a second browser, Mozilla Firefox. Will I lose my browsing history on that, too?

Sincerely,

Ethan C. Young

Monday, March 17, 2014 12:28 AM
  • I shall suggest you to boot in to Safe Mode (or,Safe Mode Networking) and uninstall the Graphic Card Driver from Device Manager.Now restart system and recheck the issue.If it boots to Desktop then update your Graphic Card Driver from the website of the Graphic Card Manufacturer.

Monday, March 17, 2014 5:28 AM
  • Hi,

System restore is an easier way to roll back to a previous time when everything worked fine.

Or perform Startup repair referring the following article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/products/features/startup-repair

Alternative, boot into safe mode, locate to Installed Updates, sort by date, find out and uninstall the updates installed on that day.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:08 AM