none
Microsoft Identity Management 2016 Documentation RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any plans to release documentation for Microsoft Identity Manager 2016, specifically the Certificate Management area?  The MIM 2010 / 2010 R2 guides are pretty good (not great) but I can't find much at all about MIM 2016 and what might be different.

Moreover, I finding quite a few references to '2010' and '2015' within MIM 2016 wizards and webpages.  I'm questioning the QA that went into it's release.  Is this really safe to use in an enterprise environment?

Bryan Berns

Monday, February 15, 2016 4:07 PM

Answers

• Is there any plans to release documentation for Microsoft Identity Manager 2016, specifically the Certificate Management area?  The MIM 2010 / 2010 R2 guides are pretty good (not great) but I can't find much at all about MIM 2016 and what might be different.

Moreover, I finding quite a few references to '2010' and '2015' within MIM 2016 wizards and webpages.  I'm questioning the QA that went into it's release.  Is this really safe to use in an enterprise environment?

Bryan Berns

Bryan , at this point there is no plans to release any new documentation. the current MIM CM release has documentation on what was added again like you mention the documentation is not great from MIM standpoint but the FIM CM documentation will serve you well. the rebranding process well was a bit of a mix but CM is perfectly fine to run in the enterprise. the core updates to the MIM CM was enhancement from SHA2
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ms-identity-support/archive/2016/01/11/faq-for-fim-2010-to-mim-2016-upgrade-and-sha2-support.aspx

And some notable great adds like

• Cross forest support
    • ADFS
    • Modern App
    • Rest API
    • SHA2

most of which will be covered in upcoming book  https://www.packtpub.com/virtualization-and-cloud/microsoft-identity-manager-2016-handbook

• Proposed as answer by Jeff IngallsMVP Monday, February 15, 2016 6:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bryan Berns Sunday, February 21, 2016 2:12 AM
    Monday, February 15, 2016 6:42 PM

All replies

Bryan Berns

Bryan , at this point there is no plans to release any new documentation. the current MIM CM release has documentation on what was added again like you mention the documentation is not great from MIM standpoint but the FIM CM documentation will serve you well. the rebranding process well was a bit of a mix but CM is perfectly fine to run in the enterprise. the core updates to the MIM CM was enhancement from SHA2
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ms-identity-support/archive/2016/01/11/faq-for-fim-2010-to-mim-2016-upgrade-and-sha2-support.aspx

And some notable great adds like

• Cross forest support
    • ADFS
    • Modern App
    • Rest API
    • SHA2

most of which will be covered in upcoming book  https://www.packtpub.com/virtualization-and-cloud/microsoft-identity-manager-2016-handbook

• Proposed as answer by Jeff IngallsMVP Monday, February 15, 2016 6:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bryan Berns Sunday, February 21, 2016 2:12 AM
    Monday, February 15, 2016 6:42 PM
  • SHA2? It works just fine with FIM CM also, could you be more specific? How about ECC?
    Monday, February 15, 2016 7:12 PM
  • SHA2? It works just fine with FIM CM also, could you be more specific? How about ECC?

SHA2 was not supported on the agent certs , it is now . also ECC should work just fine as this is the CA encryption type :)

cheers

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 1:28 AM
  • Thanks David.  In note of the branding, it would be nice to fix that up in the later release so in demos I don't have to explain why the HTML title on the web portal is still "Microsoft Forefront Identity Manager 2010 Certificate Management" when training my peers.  These simple things can overshadow what I'm sure is the great work that went into the improvements you mentioned. 

Bryan Berns

Sunday, February 21, 2016 2:11 AM
  • David,

Can you confirm your statement on the SHA2 support for the agent certificates?  This recent blog post indicates there is support for SHA2 agent certs under FIM as well as MIM.

Bryan Berns

Sunday, February 21, 2016 2:59 PM
  • Don't know if it's supported or not, but yes, SHA256 does work for agents also.
    Sunday, February 21, 2016 9:15 PM