none
Can Setup for an update to Windows 10 be started other than from the Windows Installation before?

Question

• One of our Customers has a PC with Windows 8.1 which is corrupt and not starting anymore after a power outage in the office. All efforts to repair Windows 8.1 failed. It is not starting anymore. We tried to reinstall Windows 8.1 but this is leading to a new installation in parallel. There are several Applications installed; one of it is based on a local MS SQL database. So it would be desirable to reactivate this Windows Installation.

An idea is to install Windows 10 and to update this installation of Windows 8.1.

But for this Setup needs to be started from within the old Windows 8.1. which we cannot do.

So my question: Can Setup for an update to Windows 10 be started other than from the Windows Installation before? btw: We have created a virtual disk from the phaysical original hard disk and can do all trials on a Hyper-v Machine.

Kind regards
    car995

Thursday, March 2, 2017 11:28 AM

All replies

• Do not know how to the do the upgrade or if that would help, but have you thought about \ tried copying the MS SQL database files the *.mdf *.ldf into another MS SQL server of the same version and trying to use them to mount as a database? That way you might be able to recover that data and use that in a clean install.
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:45 PM
  • I asked developmend team of the software and they told me that copying of of the *.mdf and *.ldf files leads to an corrupt sql server.
    There might be a option to import them with MS Sql studio but I am not familiar with that.

Anayway thank you for your answer

Regards

carsian995

Thursday, March 2, 2017 6:40 PM
  • Ok fair answer from the development team. Normally worth a try in desperate times imho.

Attach a Database give some advice on attaching an existing mdf file in SQL Studio.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 6:55 PM
  • Hi car995,

I think you want to upgrade system to Windows 10, ok, this is feasible, what we need are two things:

1.        Windows 10 product key
    2.        Windows installation media.

But before upgrade, backup data is very important, please notice this point.

You could create an installation media(USB drive) via media creation tool, then use it to enter WinPE, it’s convenient to backup data in WinPE interface. After backup, execute Upgrade/clean install option to install Windows 10. During install process, you need to enter a valid product key.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

Hope my clarification is clear.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 3, 2017 7:31 AM
  • I have created a boot media WinPE and bootet teh PC with faulty Windows installation. From WinPE I started Setup for Windows 10 and have chosen ´update´.

Then I get the message that I have started from a boot media and that update to Windows 10 needs to be started from within previous window installation.

Same message/problem which I was facing when booting from Windows 10 media.

Sunday, March 5, 2017 12:43 PM
  • Absolutely right 
    Sunday, March 5, 2017 1:37 PM
  •  Indeed. It is pretty obvious really. If you want to do an upgrade, you must start it from within the system you want to upgrade from. If you boot from the installation media you can only do a clean install.

Bill

Sunday, March 5, 2017 9:59 PM
  • Hello,

Correct, to do an upgrade you need to be inside the OS you wish to upgrade.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 11:49 PM