Vista installation on new motherboard, wont boot vista! RRS feed

• Question

• I recently was given a motherboard with cpu and ram and a geforce fx 5700 ultra card as he was upgrading his computer and no longer needed them, i thought that i would install them in my computer because my hardware was even worse.
    so i installed the motherboard and everything came up alright except it wouldnt boot into windows xp, so i thought it was because of the hardware change as it was a totally different type of motherboard. so i thought why not install vista onto the system to upgrade a little bit, so i upgraded to vista and all of the installation went very smoothly although a bit slow.
    so i get through that and i got to the vista setup section where you choose your login picture and setup your login and password. then vista checks the system to find optimum performance and then asks me to login.

heres where the problem started, i logged in to vista and it went straight to shutting down, then it restarted and before getting to the vista loading screen it runs through some processes and goes to a screen that looks like a o/s selection screen but goes through extremely quickly and i cant choose anything, then the system restarts. I tried a reformat and repartition with a fixboot and fixmgr then reinstalled vista but still the same problem.

does anyone have any ideas?
    thanks already for your help!
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 11:19 PM

All replies

• I don't suppose you checked to see if the motherboard or the rest of your hardware was even compatible with Vista before you started the installation procedure did you?

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 9:38 PM