Forefront Protection Suite RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Sincerely, I have no idea where to post this question but I sure hope this is the right place. There should be a forum category for "Forefront Protection Suite (FPS)" because if you have the suite you really need to be able to discuss that suite. Okay, so we have a new SBS 2008 Premium upgrade process going at the moment and plan to replace Kaspersky with Forefront. We are looking at Forefront Protection Suite, which is supposed to have the following products in the suite;

Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server
    Forefront Online Protection for Exchange
    Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010
    Forefront Protection 2010 for SharePoint
    Forefront Security for Office Communications Server
    Forefront Threat Management Gateway Web Protection Service

What I need to know are;

1. what is used to centrally manage the entire deployment (client/server security)?

2. Is it compatible with SBS 2008 Premium with its version of SQL Server and Windows XP/7?

3. Any installation and management hurdles, tips, and resources you can share (since it seems people are having some install conflicts with databases)?

Thanx

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:36 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

I think you may misunderstand something on Forefront Protection Suite. We use Forefront Client Security for PC and server security and Forefront Security for Exchange and SharePoint to protect email and collaboration.  Additionally, Forefront Threat Management Gateway provides URL filtering and Web-access policies to safeguard employees from malicious Web sites, malware, phishing traps, and similar threats that can steal information and corrupt personal computers. To sum up, Forefront Protection Suite is a solution including the above security products instead of multiple components software, which means there is no this kind of management console to centrally manage the entire deployment.

But we do have Forefront Protection Server Management Console 2010 that provides multi-server management for Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server (FPE 2010) and Forefront Protection 2010 for SharePoint (FPSP 2010). (Ref: http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/protection-for-exchange/en/us/management-console.aspx)

In addition, AFAIK, it is compatible with SBS 2008 Premium with its version of SQL Server and Windows XP/7.

As for the resources on Forefront Protection Suite, you could access the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/en/us/deployment.aspx

Hope this helps.

Miles

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Monday, December 27, 2010 5:19 AM
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 3:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

I think you may misunderstand something on Forefront Protection Suite. We use Forefront Client Security for PC and server security and Forefront Security for Exchange and SharePoint to protect email and collaboration.  Additionally, Forefront Threat Management Gateway provides URL filtering and Web-access policies to safeguard employees from malicious Web sites, malware, phishing traps, and similar threats that can steal information and corrupt personal computers. To sum up, Forefront Protection Suite is a solution including the above security products instead of multiple components software, which means there is no this kind of management console to centrally manage the entire deployment.

But we do have Forefront Protection Server Management Console 2010 that provides multi-server management for Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server (FPE 2010) and Forefront Protection 2010 for SharePoint (FPSP 2010). (Ref: http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/protection-for-exchange/en/us/management-console.aspx)

In addition, AFAIK, it is compatible with SBS 2008 Premium with its version of SQL Server and Windows XP/7.

As for the resources on Forefront Protection Suite, you could access the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/en/us/deployment.aspx

Hope this helps.

Miles

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Monday, December 27, 2010 5:19 AM
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 3:40 AM
  • Thanx for the response, it certainly helped me understand better but I don't have multiple servers to manage with Forefront Protection Server Management Console 2010. It is most important for me to manage one server and all endpoints. However, what can one use to manage FPS pre- and post-deplymnet? Or is there not even a basic central management concole at all for FPS or is everyone (including small businesses) expected to get System Center? Why should I switch to it instead of Kaspersky that provides a complete central console and costs less? What proper FPS solutions is there for the SBS environment (with a central management console only capable of managing one SBS and one additional server that comes with SBS and all endpoints)?
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 8:30 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the update.

As for what is the proper FPS solutions for the SBS environment, you may repost a new thread to our SBS2008 forum.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/threads

Thanks for your cooperation.

Miles

Monday, December 27, 2010 5:19 AM
  • I hope I get a better solution to this by doing so because I just posted the same question over there.

Monday, December 27, 2010 1:55 PM