none
Dashboard Designer - an error has occured attempting to conact.... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just setup performancepoint services on a newly setup sharepoint site.

The site uses forms authentication, but my windows account has admin access to everything.

I cannot get Dashboard Designer to connect to the SharePoint site.  The designer installed correctly on my computer.

Whenever I try to connect to the site Dashboard Designer gives this error.

An error has occured attempting to contact the specified SharePoint site.  Please check your connection and settings and try again.

Using fiddler the response from the server is

<faultstring>There was an exception running the extensions specified in the config file. ---> Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.</faultstring>

In the ULS Log i found

Failed to open the file 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\Resources\ppsma.Client.en-US.en-US.resx'.

#20015: Cannot open "": no such file or folder.

(#2: Cannot open "": no such file or folder.)

Failed to read resource file "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\Resources\ppsma.Client.en-US.en-US.resx" from feature id "(null)".
    Any ideas? The unattended service account should be setup. I googled all the errors and wasn't coming up with anything relavent.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi ,

What do you mean by ‘The unattended service account should be setup.’ ?Have you add your windows account as the  unattended service account for the PerformancePoint Service Application ?

After you creating the performancepoint service application ,you can see these messages:

1. In order for the service to access data sources, an Unattended Service Account must be defined for PerformancePoint, using SharePoint Central Administration.
    2. The PerformancePoint web application and site collection features must be enabled in order to use the PerformancePoint capabilities.
    3. Trusted locations should be configured through manage service applications to prevent use of any site collection or sites, with PPS features enabled, that could allow for unauthorized access to data sources. 

You should add the windows account as the unattended service account in Central Administration >Mange Service Applications>
    PerformancePoint Service Application> PerformancePoint Service Application Settings .

Thanks

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:36 AM
  • I threw together another web app that uses only AD for authentication and I had no problems with Dashboard Designer. I found that the problem is because the original site uses Forms Based Authentication.

This project is for proof of concept purposes so I will probably just stick with AD authentication.

I found these post that I will be trying out when I have time.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ppsmonitoringandanalytics/thread/82a9de7e-1267-4911-8c74-8647420956eb/

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010general/thread/3987da03-eb26-4a41-a644-a3bd3e62324c/

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 8:35 PM