Link Exchange Server to external SMIME Directory RRS feed

• Question

• Hi together,

we are using SMIME for all our email comunication, which works fine so far.

I wonder if there is a way to link our Exchange 2010 to an external SMIME Directory such as https://www.globaltrustpoint.com

or others. (eventually link it to different Servers in parallel?)

Regards Stefan

• Moved by Alex Pitulice Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:17 PM Moved: English Forums
    Friday, April 18, 2014 11:08 AM

Answers

• S/MIME is handled by the client software. Exchange just treats the encrypted body parts as a BLOB and has no visibility as to the contents of the encrypted parts of the message.

If there's anything that will do what you want, it'll be an Outlook add-in or a web browser add-in (if you're using OWA).

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Monday, April 28, 2014 9:35 PM

All replies

• Hello,

At present, there is no official article to verify whether your Exchange server can link to an external S/MIME directory.

But if your organization want to use S/MIME, you can apply a certificate from internal CA or 3rd party provider.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 25, 2014 3:01 AM
  • Well we already use internal Certs. For SMIME, the idea was to somehow automatically check for certificates of external contacts.

Regards Stefan

Friday, April 25, 2014 5:51 AM
  • Hello,

Do you mean you want to use S?MIME for e-mail encryption with an external recipient? If so, you can try to refer to the following blog to do it.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2008/04/23/3405402.aspx

If you use a certificate that is issued by a root CA, that may be trusted. You need installing the certificate in the trusted root certification authorities store on your client computer.

If I have any misunderstanding, please free let me know. 

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 28, 2014 2:53 AM
  • Well this is something I knew, I am searching for a way that either the mail Client or (preferable) the Exchange Server will check a public Directory with S/MIME certificates in case I send an email to someone whom I had no contact with before. Thus securing communication from the beginning.

Regards Stefan

Monday, April 28, 2014 8:07 PM
  • S/MIME is handled by the client software. Exchange just treats the encrypted body parts as a BLOB and has no visibility as to the contents of the encrypted parts of the message.

If there's anything that will do what you want, it'll be an Outlook add-in or a web browser add-in (if you're using OWA).

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Monday, April 28, 2014 9:35 PM