How can i define an additional SQl Store for an existing Lync enterprise pool RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I need advise urgently on this. I have a Lync 2010 enterprise pool deployment setup up with one SQL backend and two Front end servers pointing to the backend. I am hoping to introduce another SQL server which will be in failback or failover mode to the existing Backend incase i have issues with the server. kindly advise on how to go about this.

An urgent reply will be appreciated.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 7:53 PM

Answers

• Jummy

The supported method of providing SQL resilience is to implement a SQL cluster, which is documented on Technet.

Mike

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks

MCITP: Lync, Exchange 2010 & Server Administrator

Blog
    • Proposed as answer by Noya Lau Tuesday, June 14, 2011 2:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Noya Lau Thursday, June 16, 2011 1:40 AM
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:58 PM

All replies

• Jummy

The supported method of providing SQL resilience is to implement a SQL cluster, which is documented on Technet.

Mike

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks

MCITP: Lync, Exchange 2010 & Server Administrator

Blog
    • Proposed as answer by Noya Lau Tuesday, June 14, 2011 2:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Noya Lau Thursday, June 16, 2011 1:40 AM
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:58 PM
  • The easiest way would be to create a SQL Cluster for fail-over. From your SQL Server, run the installation media and select to create a cluster from your existing DB.

-jorge
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 10:06 PM
  • Another method of getting the resiliency would be to convert the SQL DB server into a VMWare image. Put it back on the same box with the same NIC and use VMWare management tools to do Disaster Recovery in seconds.
    -jorge
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 10:10 PM
  • Hi, Jummy,

Any progress?

A SQL Server cluster for the back-end database improves availability by providing failover capabilities. In a multiple-node cluster, the Lync Server 2010 SQL instance must be able to failover to a passive node that, for performance reasons, should not be shared by any other SQL instance. More info, please refer to Database Software and Clustering Support.

Moreover, provide this document How to: Create a New SQL Server Failover Cluster (Setup) for reference. Hope useful.

Please remember to click “Mark As Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark As Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 5:59 AM