Outlook 2010 Cannot open meeting item "(meeting name)" You do not have appropriate permissions to perform this operation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All, 

I am looking for some assistance with outlook 2010. I have a user that receives metting invites created from our webex plugin. When the user receives the invites it gives him the following error: Cannot open meeting item "(meeting name)" You do not have appropriate permissions to perform this operation.

I attempted to troubleshoot the issue. I started his outlook in safe mode and he was able to open it without the error, so I was thinking an add-in was causing the issue. I disabled the add-ins one by one and the issue still occurred. I also found that he only gets the error when it is unread and he tries to open it the first time. If it has a status of read he can open the invite without issue, but as soon as you mark it unread again it presents him with the same error. 

Again this only seems to happen with meetings scheduled from Webex Teams add-in. The error does not occur on a newer version of outlook such as O365. Nor does it occur when scheduling meetings with the user outside of the webex add-in. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 10:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Jim,

Did you install Webex Teams add-in in Outlook client? Can we open meeting invite normally on a client without this add-in?

I searched some articles about Webex Teams Add-In and found that this add-in seems to be more applicable for Outlook 2016 and newer versions. Please check this link.

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

In my opinion, you could also contact Cisco Webex support to see if they’ve received similar reports of this issue and if there are any compatibility issues between Webex Teams add-in and old versions of Office.  

>> I started his outlook in safe mode and he was able to open it without the error, s

There are many items disabled under safe mode. In addition to add-ins, we can also try following steps to see if it helps:

1. Clears and regenerates the Navigation Pane

Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /resetnavpane and then press Enter.

2. Reset NormalEmail.dotm template

Open this path: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

Move NormalEmail.dotm to another folder and then restart Outlook client to test the results.

Feel free to post back if there are any updates.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Thursday, December 12, 2019 6:43 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Saturday, December 14, 2019 1:54 AM
    Thursday, December 12, 2019 6:29 AM
  • Hello Perry, 

I appreciate your response. I will go ahead and check out the link you provided and look into the other potential resolutions. 

To answer your first questions the client isn't needing the web-ex plugin. We have sales reps at our office that send out meeting from their webex plugins so this is a webex meeting just getting sent to the end user. He is also able to open any other meeting invites without issue. It only seems to happen when the sales guys send him and invite from the web-ex plugin. I did test the issue on newer version of outlook and I did not receive any errors so I do agree that it might have something to do with it being an older version of outlook. 

Thursday, December 12, 2019 4:07 PM
  • Yes, Jim. I guess it is related with the Office versions. You may contact Cisco Webex support to confirm this. Besides, support for Outlook 2010 will end on Oct 2020. I think this is also a good time to switch to Office 365 or Office 2016 :)

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 13, 2019 8:15 AM
  • Hi Jim,

If there are anything else I can do for you, feel free to tell us.

BTW, if the information is helpful, would you mind helping mark it as answer? Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread :)

Regards,

Perry

Monday, December 16, 2019 1:14 AM