Event ID 30800 The server name cannot be resolved RRS feed

• Question

• Hi at all,

i've a customer File Server (w2012R2 installed on December) with this persistent event, Event Viewer SMBClient Connectivity :

=====================================================

The server name cannot be resolved.

Error: The object was not found.

Server name: "NAME OF OLD DECOMMISSIONING DOMAIN CONTROLLER"

Guidance:
    The client cannot resolve the server address in DNS or WINS. This issue often manifests immediately after joining a computer to the domain, when the client's DNS registration may not yet have propagated to all DNS servers. You should also expect this event at system startup on a DNS server (such as a domain controller) that points to itself for the primary DNS. You should validate the DNS client settings on this computer using IPCONFIG /ALL and NSLOOKUP.

======================================================

The "Server name" reported is a old DC decommissioned mounths ago, i need to understand why and when the server need to resolve this DC.

The Domain have over 40 th DCs and over 500 servers and 3000 clients.

Thank's in advance

Marco

Thursday, January 21, 2016 4:34 PM

Answers

• Finally i found the reason.

There Was a DFS Namespace publish on domain that point to the dismissed DC with reference NAMESPACE Holder.

After i removed the orphan namespace from AD (via adsiedit) the event is vanished.

Marco

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 7:44 AM

All replies

• There may be stale records on some. Also could be some replication issues going on. You can use dcdiag and repadmin tools to check.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 5:37 PM
  • Hi Marco,

Thanks for your post.

I can find less information about the error message ID you provided. But according to your description, it may be caused by the retain old names. The Nslookup tool can't find a server name for the server's IP address, maybe it still retain old records in DNS.

You may follow the steps to troubleshoot the DNS client.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754588.aspx

Please also check if the old DC info in the AD database.  If so, you need to perform metadata cleanup. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816907(v=ws.10).aspx

If you believe AD/DC has some lingering object, you can use repadmin /showrepl DomainControllerName command to identify them.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc785298(WS.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 22, 2016 3:17 AM
  • Hi, thank's for response.

Yesterday i don't explain the case very well, i'm sorry....

Metadata Cleanup don't show any lingering object on AD in any site, DCDIAG don't show any reference to this old DC, AD Site & Service don't show any reference on this old DC.

I browsed the DNS (_msdcs zone and internal domain zone) to search any reference of this old DC.

I discover this Event error because we are investigating a share access problem (maybe a smb stack problem).

On the server (file server) that have this error, we are verified the DNS seerver settings on network card, task scheduler, link.....nothing show any reference to this old DC.

The error shows any hour..

thank fo any info about that

Marco

Friday, January 22, 2016 8:29 AM
  • I'd try working through this one.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755882%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

be sure to Ipconfig /flushdns in between checks.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, January 22, 2016 3:35 PM
  • Hi,

this not apply, the server are rebooted so the DNS cache was cleared, the ping of this name not resolve any address and obviusly not respond.

Marco

Friday, January 22, 2016 3:46 PM
  • Ok, well there's certainly more to it than just clearing cache in the article. Still issue is not clear. So this file server was once a DC?

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, January 22, 2016 4:05 PM
  • Hi,

no,  the server never was a DC, this is a Fileserver, DFS Namespace (domain namespace) with DFS Replication.

On DFS Name Space there is not any reference to this old DC, only fileserver that are currently on production.

thanks

Marco Michinelli

Microsoft MCSA

Monday, January 25, 2016 8:28 AM
  • Finally i found the reason.

There Was a DFS Namespace publish on domain that point to the dismissed DC with reference NAMESPACE Holder.

After i removed the orphan namespace from AD (via adsiedit) the event is vanished.

Marco

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 7:44 AM