none
No Internet Access RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

Pardon my rookie question..

I have a domain client set up to receive dynamic ip address from the router serving as the DHCP server. The domain client has dns settings manually configured.

The primary dns address points to the router and the secondary dns address points to the domain server.

My challenge is whenever the server is off, I expect the internet service to be available however, the domain client fails to access the internet.

My second challenge is that a workstation not joined to the domain is able to access the internet even when the server is off.

Kindly help me in resolving this problem. It would mean the world to me.

Thanks

Thursday, October 12, 2017 2:47 PM

All replies

• Hi agent.47,

>>My challenge is whenever the server is off

Did you mean domain server(as well as DNS server) off?

>>I expect the internet service to be available however, the domain client fails to access the internet.

Could you ping 8.8.8.8 when the domain client fails to access the internet? If you could ,the Internet still works correctly, only the applications which use DNS can't resolve names to addresses.

If your domain server is going to be down on a regular basis, you should configure public DNS servers on your client machines,such as 8.8.8.8.

As a quick fix, configure your server's DHCP role to provide Google DNS (8.8.8.8) as secondary. That way when your domain server is down, your clients will use Google DNS to resolve domain names instead - allowing the internet experience to continue.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 13, 2017 6:09 AM
  • Hi ,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 16, 2017 8:44 AM
  • Hi ,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Candy

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 9:59 AM