Intel vPro with wired 802.1x issue with domain name RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys,

this issue is may not related to SCCM directly, but intel forums are really poor so i´d like to ask here...

The Case: We are currently provisioning our vPro chips with SCCM SP2 R3 and almost everthing worked as expected (Provisioning OK, OOB Console OK, PowerControl OK even TLS and Kerberos are working. But there is an issue with the 802.1x authentication. It seems the vPro chips are not using the correct domain name. Lets say our DNS domain name is vpro.com and the NETBIOS Name is coprvro . There are no child or other domains. vPro chips are presenting now vpro\COMPUTERNAME$iME instead of vpro.com oder corpvro so the Radius Server (Windows Server 2008 R2 - NPS) is saying ReasonCode 7 "...domain is not existing...". AuthenticationType and EAP Type are correct. Usually user- and computeraccounts are using corpvro as domain name.

• Changed type Moiz Rassiwala[MSFT]Microsoft employee Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:45 PM As it is not directly related to an SCCM issue, changing to general discussion.
    • Changed type --Marc-- Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:09 PM my mistake
    • Changed type Moiz Rassiwala[MSFT]Microsoft employee Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:10 PM As it is not directly related to an SCCM issue, changing to general discussion.
    • Changed type --Marc-- Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:28 PM its a question
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:31 AM

Answers

• Since no one has answer this post, I recommend opening  a support case with CSS as they can work with you to solve this problem.

Garth Jones | My blogs: Enhansoft and Old Blog site | Twitter: @GarthMJ

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, January 24, 2015 4:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, January 31, 2015 6:21 PM
    Saturday, January 24, 2015 4:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

its defenetly something with the SCCM 802.1x, as wie figured out earlier today. vPro Clients that has been provisioned with Intels SCS (Setup and Configuration Service) are authentication as expected using corpvpro\COMPUTERNAME$iME where corpvro is the NETBIOS domain name.

PS: Sorry, Moiz didn´t saw you changed the thread type twice. I just looked under "My Threads" for replies and was wondering why the type is switching back :)....

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 12:55 PM
  • If you want to do some additional debugging, you can use the Manageability Developer Tool Kit to examine the configuration applied by either SCCM or the SCS to your client.  You can get the DTK here: www.intel.com/software/amt-dtk/.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 6:37 PM
  • Hi Dan,

thank you for your reply. I've already done this in the second place using the SDK and winrm ($8021XProfileInstance.GetProperty("Domain")). I've no idea were SCCM is getting this domain name from. Its cutting off the top level domain extension, may be SCCM is assuming that this equals the NETBIOS domain name but that is not the case. This is only a guess, in detail I need to know in fact on what basis SCCM is choosing the domain name, then i can fix this...

Intels SCS putting the correct NETBIOS domain name in the amt config, used certificates are the same...

Thursday, March 1, 2012 10:28 PM
  • Yes, I know this is an old post, but I’m trying to clean them up.

Did you solve this problem, if so what was the solution?

Sunday, January 4, 2015 11:06 PM
  • Since no one has answer this post, I recommend opening  a support case with CSS as they can work with you to solve this problem.

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, January 24, 2015 4:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, January 31, 2015 6:21 PM
    Saturday, January 24, 2015 4:43 PM