none
Back button skips search page originated from URL bar IE11 RRS feed

• Question

• I assumed that this issue is actually IE11 coding issue that's why I never tired to fix it and thought it would get fixed in updates.

History:
    This problem happened when I upgraded Win 7 to Win 8.
    So I thought there might be an issue in upgrading.
    Then I did a fresh install and problem still persisted. So I ignored it.
    Upgraded to Win 8.1... not fixed...

Now a brand new machine with Windows 8.1 and problem still exists on both machines.

Problem: (can not be reproduced every time)
    From any page in IE11, either blank tab or tab with an open page. When searched from URL bar then clicking on search results, then clicking on back button takes back to blank tab instead of the search results.

Steps:
    Open IE (blank page)
    Search from URL bar
    Bing search results shows up
    Clicks on one of the search results
    Clicks back
        takes back to blank page (instead of going back to search page)

Running latest updates as of this post.

Friday, November 14, 2014 5:12 PM

All replies

• And the default Search Provider would be...?

The behavior suggests the presence of a custom hosts file (possibly added by an anti-virus application, security suite and/or anti-spyware/anti-malware application - i.e., other than Windows Defender) or other third-party, ad-blocking software.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Saturday, November 15, 2014 6:46 PM
  • Hi Zunair,

I can't repro your issue as what you mentioned above, the Back button just took me to the search results pages. 

My IE version is as below:

If the version is correct but you still have such issue, please reset the hosts files and check the issue in no add-on / inPrivate mode t see what's going on.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 8:00 AM
  • Robear Dyer,
    Can't be host file because the problem persists on fresh windows install on a formatted drive.
    Default search provider is Bing, and all other default IE settings.

Kate Li,
    Like I mentioned, the issue is intermittent. It does not happen all the time.

IE v11.0.9600.17416

Thank you.

Edit:
    I will try to reproduce it and see if I can find a pattern.
    Thanks

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 8:38 PM
  • I will try to reproduce it and see if I can find a pattern.

Very good.

Assuming Win8.1 64-bit...

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferably without quoting this post:

1. Does the computer-in-question belong to your or your employer?

2. When (exact date, preferably) did you do the last clean install of Win8?

3a. What is the full name of your currently-installed third-party anti-virus application or security suite (i.e., not Windows Defender!), if any, and when (approx. date) does your current subscription (if any) expire?

3b. What third-party anti-malware applications (i.e., not Windows Defender!) are installed, if any?  What third-party firewall, if any?

4. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you did the last clean install of Win8?5a. Is KB3003057, KB3006226, KB3010788, KB2992611, KB2993958, KB3005607, KB2978126, KB3003743, KB3002885 and/or KB3011780 listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)? [1]

5b. How about KB2989647, KB2984006, KB2995388 and/or KB3000850?

6. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?

7. Is Adobe Flash Player v15.0.0.223 for Internet Explorer installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

8. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; Glary Utilities; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner's Registry Cleaner component)?

=======================================================
    [1] Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:16 PM