Upgrade to 2012R2 now Windows Update will not work RRS feed

• Question

• After upgrading to Windows Server 2012R2 from 2008R2 Windows Update will not work.  It will just run forever and not complete.  I've tried the Windows Repair Tool (WindowsUpdate.diagcab) which found errors but the updates still don't work. I've registered DLLs, removed SoftwareDistribution folders, verified MS sites are in trusted sites.  I've ran "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" which says all is OK.

I haven't run the "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" becuase the ScanHealth says "No component store corruption detected".  Should I run the RestoreHealth?  I'm at a loss as what to do?

We have upgraded three servers from 2008R2 to 2012R2 and so far and the other two have downloaded and installed around 70 security updates each.  This one won't do anything.  Our goal is to be upgraded to Windows 2016.  The MS suggested upgrade path from 2008R2 is to 2012R2 then 2016.

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 7:57 PM

All replies

• Did you install some updates manually from update catalog site?
    Thursday, September 26, 2019 1:40 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried to manually install updates?

Check this thread, see if it helps.

I suggest you to try this at an elevated command-prompt:

netsh winhttp import proxy source=ie

Then reboot.

If this not work for you, try reset Windows Update components

‘Windows Update - additional resources’

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-resources#how-do-i-reset-windows-update-components

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 27, 2019 8:57 AM
  • Temporary quick fix:

- change WU settings to "Never check for updates..."

- manually stop wuauserv service

- manually install latest Adobe Flash Player update (currently KB4516115)

permanent fix:

- change the settings and stop the service

- manually install latest servicing stack update (currently KB4512938)

- manually install rollup update KB3172614

Sunday, September 29, 2019 3:13 PM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.
    Best Regards,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 30, 2019 8:37 AM
  • Thank you for all the help to resolve this issue.  I tried most of the things suggested but what fixed it in the end is manually installing the "2017-12 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows Server 2012 R2 for x64-based Systems" (KB4054519).

One issue I noticed right off the bat is when trying to manually install any updates they wouldn't install because it would always say updates in progress and that would never complete.  As "abbodi86" said you have to change it to never check for updates to be able to manually install updates.  I looked on my other servers and figured I would manually install all the update rollups that the my other servers installed.  The oldest one was 2017-12 KB4054519.  I was actually surprised but after installing this I was able to run the check for updates. 

One thing to note is after all of the updates were installed, one of them kept on failing, the 2019-09 Security Monthly Quality Rollup KB4516067.  I ended up downloading this update and manually installing it.  Now the Server is completely updated and everything appears to be good.

Again, Thanks for all the help!

Tuesday, October 1, 2019 7:42 PM
  • Hi, 

Good to hear that you have solved this issue by yourself.

In addition, thanks for sharing your solution in the forum as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters similar issues.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best regards. 

Friday, October 4, 2019 1:58 AM