Locking screensaver through Group Policy in Active Directory RRS feed

• Question

• We are deploying VISTA company wide within the next few weeks.  I want to set the screensaver to start after 10mins requiring a password to unlock.  I want to set this up in Group Policy in Active Directory but I  can't find anything related to that.  Does anyone have any ideas where I can find that or if there is another way to do it.  I do not want to manage this locally.
    Thanks a million!
    Tashi
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 3:16 PM

All replies

• Hello,

To use the 'password protected screensaver' system-wide, you will need to have Active Directory up and running. You will also need to decide if system-wide includes all employees, or just a few. After you make these decisions, you will create a GPO in Active Directory (typically using Group Policy Management Console) and link it to an Active Directory node. You will link to the domain if you want all employees to receive the policy. This will include executives, IT admins, power users, developers, etc. If you want to narrow the scope, you will link the GPO to an organizational unit containing only the user accounts that you want to affect.

After you have the GPO linked and configured, you will configure the "User Configuration|Administrative Templates|Control Panel|Display" node to configure the following two policies:

1) Screen Saver Executable Name
       2) Password Protect the Screen Saver

Regards

praveen gupta

India

praveen_16july@yahoo.com

praveen_16july@hotmail.com

Monday, July 16, 2007 9:04 AM
  • We have implemented a system-wide password protected screen-saver using the technique described here. However, there are certain computers that we wish to have a different timeout for the screensaver. When users login on those computers with their normal login credentials, we want the screensaver to activate after a longer time period.

Since the screen saver is a user-level policy, not a computer-level policy, how can this be done?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Regards,

Stephen

Friday, September 7, 2007 12:41 AM
  • Check out Group policy loopback processing.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 12:45 PM
  • You need to enable these settings as well:

Hide Screen Saver tab

Activate Screen Saver

For the Screen Saver Executable Name , you need to type the name of that screen saver , you can found these names in System32 folder.
    Here is a good link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc958610.aspx 

Thanks
    Monday, February 28, 2011 8:45 PM