none
How to delegate start/stop permissions for services

Question

• Hi,

Is there any way to delegate the stop/start permissions for every service in a Windows Server (even unknowing which services the servers have)?

Cristian L Ruiz

Thursday, May 17, 2018 2:48 PM

All replies

• You can follow along here.

https://serverfault.com/questions/187302/how-do-i-grant-start-stop-restart-permissions-on-a-service-to-an-arbitrary-user

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 4:07 PM
  • Sorry, but in your suggested link they are talking to delegate permissions for specific services, where you have to know the names. 

Is there any way we can delegate the permission or right to stop/start any service in a Windows machine?

I know that there is not a direct or native way, but is there any workaround?

Cristian L Ruiz

Thursday, May 17, 2018 5:35 PM
  • You can define a domain policy by going to;

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\System Services

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 6:55 PM
  • Yes, I know, but again you have to configure each service and you have to know which service to delegate.

There are 150 servers with different services. What we want to do is to delegate to someone he can administer the start and stop of any service on those servers without care what is the service. Like the right to shutdown the System.... or change the System time.... it would be great to have one right that just say "Administer Windows Services" to stop or start all services the server has.

Cristian L Ruiz

Thursday, May 17, 2018 7:03 PM
  • You can add the feedback / request over here on uservoice.

https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295047-general-feedback

Thursday, May 17, 2018 7:06 PM
  • Hi Cristian L Ruiz,

For the most services to restart i assume you need local admin permissions. You may add the user to the admin group to manage the service on the server.

If you just want to grant a non administrator the right to start/stop any service on the server.  I'm afraid there no such easy-way to achieve this.

As said above, you may need to know the service name and delegate the permission. Appreciate your support and understanding.

Here is the thread discussed before, you could also take a look.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/20f03e51-8269-4fb8-82a2-c0eeff0b8a22/delegating-control-of-services?forum=winserversecurity

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 18, 2018 7:52 AM