Windows starting problem at standard cpu settings RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Everyone,

When i want to start windows i have to bring down my processor HT-Multiplier(x12 at 200 mhz in the bios) otherwise it will give a BSOD. At 2.2 or 2.4 ghz(standard running at 3.0 ghz) it's enough to run windows normally but after a random period of time it still crashes. I've run a ram test and they came out clean and i'm using a fresh windows 7 install on a new HDD. I've fiddled with nvidia ntune on a earlier windows installation but after a new install these settings should go back to standard or am I wrong ? What could be the problem

Thanks in advance

System Specs
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Asus M2N4-SLI Mobo Nforce 4
    Amd 6000+
    2x 8800GTX Sli
    320 GB Samsung HDD
    8Gb DDR2 800 mhz Hyper x Ram

Thursday, February 9, 2012 11:55 AM

Answers

• Seems like it. I've been looking for a mobo and processor already and found a sweat deal

Anyway, thanks for your help, much appreciated
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, February 13, 2012 5:11 AM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 2:49 PM

All replies

• You most likely need to update the firmware for the bios on the Mobo.  Go to the Asus site and search for that model of mobo and then find the most recent firmware for it and update accordingly.  See if the issues persist.
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 12:52 PM
  • I've updated to the newest mobo firmware and that makes no difference. Still crashing when starting windows...

What to do next ?

Thursday, February 9, 2012 2:37 PM
  • What kind of power supply do you have?
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 2:55 PM
  • It's a 700 Watt Coolermaster Silent Pro
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 3:01 PM
  • hmm well there goes that idea.  Have you tried disabling the amd cool and quiet in bios?  also can you check the voltage bios reports its giving to the cpu. post it back here
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 3:08 PM
  • Amd Cool and Quiet was already disabled. And voltages are at auto settings

Thursday, February 9, 2012 3:29 PM
  • Ok try this. Theres an option to restore everything to defaults (factory) in the bios.  Do that. And see what happens

• Edited by Ang101 Thursday, February 9, 2012 3:51 PM
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 3:39 PM
  • No effect. To see what would happen i'd overclocked my system at "ai tuning" to 5% increase. Then when my computer restarted it gave me the bios option but when i pushed DEL it didnt load up the bios. I had to remove the cmos battery on the motherboard to get it running again. Suggestions ?
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 5:34 PM
  • I'm out of ideas...check to make sure all the power cords are correctly plugged in on the motherboard. 

You had this processor before and it was fine before you did the fresh install?

Thursday, February 9, 2012 5:40 PM
  • No it was giving problems on earlier versions of windows. But i thought maybe it would fix the problems. This is the second reinstall.
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 9:15 PM
  • sounds like a bad processor then. or mobo
    Friday, February 10, 2012 12:23 PM
  • Seems like it. I've been looking for a mobo and processor already and found a sweat deal

Anyway, thanks for your help, much appreciated
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, February 13, 2012 5:11 AM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 2:49 PM
  • your welcome
    Friday, February 10, 2012 8:54 PM