x86 to x64 Transition RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,so i recently heard that having x64-bit OS will give me some advantages,I am currently using x32 Windows 7 Ultimate.

I've reinstalled My Laptop 3 times;

-The Factory Fresh Was Windows 7 Ultimate x86

-First Reinstall Was Windows 7 Home x64 ( I did something wrong and got a BSOD but i'm new to Computers so i ask someone to reinstall it for me )

-Second Reinstallment Was Windows 7 Professional x32 ( i need to reinstall it because of a serious problem,and i asked someone to reinstall it for me )

-Latest Reinstallment Was Windows 7 Ultimate x32 ( I Realize The earlier Windows was not genuine since i cannot activate it )

So I want The advantage of having x64-bit OS,How could I switch it back to x86?,So can i switch to x86 again by reinstalling Windows with x86? Or if you know how do i get x86 version of this Windows without buying it again that'd be great,An answer would be a pleasure to me,Have a good Day!

Sunday, September 11, 2016 9:38 AM

Answers

• You don't have upgrade or downgrade option between 32bit and 64bit.

The only way is to reinstall Windows and perform clean install.

You may try backup your data and copy user profile and after reinstalling Windows copy them but you have to reinstall all your applications.

64bit is faster and it is more secure as it use some new security features when it work with processor and operating system.

Sunday, September 11, 2016 2:13 PM
  • Hi Lone_Wanderer,

The 32bit to 64bit conversion makes fundamental changes to the way your system runs that can't be done on a running system. You will have to re-install windows and everything that goes along with that.

To get more information about Windows x86 and x64, please refer to the link below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15056/windows-7-32-64-bit-faq

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 12, 2016 1:44 AM

All replies

• You don't have upgrade or downgrade option between 32bit and 64bit.

The only way is to reinstall Windows and perform clean install.

You may try backup your data and copy user profile and after reinstalling Windows copy them but you have to reinstall all your applications.

64bit is faster and it is more secure as it use some new security features when it work with processor and operating system.

Sunday, September 11, 2016 2:13 PM
  • What hardware spec do you have?  I wouldn't bother upgrading unless your RAM is over 4GB.
    Sunday, September 11, 2016 3:08 PM
  • As Cyber_Defend_Team said, you can't upgrade from Windows 7 x32 to x64.  You need to perform a clean install.  To not loose your Data, you can use the "migwiz" tool from Windows 7.  It will export your Data to another location (USB / External drive) and after the new install, launch the same tool to re-import your Data.

Windows 7 x64 can take advantage of a lot more RAM --> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

But, you may want to install the x64 version if you have some issue with virtual memory limit.  Windows 7 x32 have a 2GB of limitation compare to 8TB for the x64 version.

This posting is provided AS IS without warranty of any kind

Monday, September 12, 2016 12:46 AM
  • Hi Lone_Wanderer,

The 32bit to 64bit conversion makes fundamental changes to the way your system runs that can't be done on a running system. You will have to re-install windows and everything that goes along with that.

To get more information about Windows x86 and x64, please refer to the link below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15056/windows-7-32-64-bit-faq

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 12, 2016 1:44 AM