none
Hyper-v: hard disk consumption on guest OS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I activated HYPER-V services on my Windows 10 Pro notebook. The VM files and virtual disks are on an external SSD USB 3.1 disk. I noticed than the fee space on the local disk starts decreasing quickly, especially after stopping the VMs I created.  30 GB of disk are used in 20 minutes until the free space is zero and I have to reboot the notebook to restore the free quota. 

Is there and known leakage or consumption of local disk even if the VMs are configured on the external? Is it possible to tune this effect or force a clean up without restarting my computer? Is there a cache for the VMs created on local disk and is it possible to move it on the external?

Thanks.

Emanuele

Tuesday, June 16, 2020 9:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

could be a number of things.

Have you changed the default paths in Hyper-V config?

Have you disabled automatic snapshots on each VM? (Enabled by default in Windows 10 Hyper-V)?

Evgenij Smirnov

http://evgenij.smirnov.de

Tuesday, June 16, 2020 10:24 PM
  • Hello Evgenuj, the paths I set are the location of  the virtual machine and the virtual disk, Inwould expect all the snapshots are created in the external disk. Are there other paths on the local hard disk I can set to the external disk?

Thanks

Emanuele

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 6:37 PM