Consecutive ID Numbering within Issue Tracker RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. After deleting previous issues, any new issues created reflect the next consecutive number after the deleted ticket, making it hard to identify how many issues have been opened. How does one go in and delete the old issues completely so that the ID numbering is consecutive?
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:48 PM

Answers

• In SharePoint, the issue number is the unique ID for the list item.  Since the item is sent to the recycle bin, ID #s that have already been used are not able to be used again because if you bring the item back from the recycle bin it will have the same ID #.

If you want to identify how many issues have been opened, you can create a custom view with a count.

- Xenox G.
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Tuesday, May 17, 2011 1:56 AM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 2:24 AM

All replies

• In SharePoint, the issue number is the unique ID for the list item.  Since the item is sent to the recycle bin, ID #s that have already been used are not able to be used again because if you bring the item back from the recycle bin it will have the same ID #.

If you want to identify how many issues have been opened, you can create a custom view with a count.

- Xenox G.
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Tuesday, May 17, 2011 1:56 AM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 2:24 AM
  • I agree that that's how I understand it should work too, but I somehow still have missing ID's.  For example, items 1,2, and 6 have been deleted and I can see them in the recycling bin.  Items 3 and 5 are still active and I can see them in my list.  There is no item 4.  It is not in the recycling bin (nor manually deleted from the bin) and it is not in the All items view (which does not have a filter).  It has not been long enough for anything to be purged from the recycling bin, and yet no 4.  At this this point, I don't know if 4 ever existed and is somehow missing (which is a problem) or if after 3, then next item was assigned #5 (which is a problem).  Any ideas on what's going on here?

Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:38 PM