Java not working on Shuttle XS36V Upgraded to Win7 RRS feed

• Question

• Shuttle bought as small footprint pc. for Java based Till system (Openbravopos). This was loaded with Win Xp Pro Service Pack 3 but I got messages that Intel GMA 3600 drivers were not available for XP, everything else worked except no Java to run till software. Re built shuttle with Lubuntu and everything worked but no driver for Elo Touch screen or USB Printer support readily found. Re- installed XP and tried again, with ordinary 17 inch LCD monitor. Bought download copy of Win 7 Home and installed via USB stick.. Much the same results as with XP. Setting aside the till system, any Java based program gives the same result; 'Java SE is stopped, and windows reports the problem. I've tired with Java SE 6-32, Java 7 and even the latest copy of Java 8. All the Intel GMA drivers are in place, and nothing in the Device manger is showing as a problem. I have cleaned up the disk and got rid of the windows.old folders. My AV is Microsoft Security.

Everything worked in Linux (Lubuntu) ELO Touch Screen ( but not touch), Java programs and Java based till system Openbravopos worked fine with limitations which I might find work-arounds, based on this think it boils down to: a 'rights' problem, a memory or hardware conflict, I cannot open Java console, but if I do a test it tells me I have Java installed. The Hello World program doesn't work, and I downloaded Dr Java application and the examples from princeton University... none of these run..

any leads would be most welome

Thanks

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 10:57 AM

Answers

• OK!  For anyone who happens to find this article while searching for why Java will not work after installing Windows 7 32-bit SP1 on a Shuttle XS36V, I now have the solution that works, thanks to a rep at Shuttle support!

You probably have an older BIOS version that is in desperate need of upgrading.

I started by removing Java again from Windows 7.  Then I went to the following link, downloaded the latest version and flashed the BIOS.  After booting back into Windows, I installed Java JRE 7 SE and it works now!  I can both open the Java control panel and run Java applets.

You can get the latest Shuttle XS36V BIOS here:

http://global.shuttle.com/products/productsDownload?productId=1585&osId=8

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, June 5, 2012 3:06 AM
    Friday, June 1, 2012 8:08 PM
  • THANK YOU.....!

Flashing the BIOS has solved the problem... I had one slight hiccup, in that I'd left the SATA settings in IDE mode ( From when i had XP on there) and flashing set the SATA settings back to ACHI.. Win 7 wouldn't start, so I went into the BIOS changed settings to IDE and all o.k. You've really helped me out, again thank you for the answer.

Graeme!950

Friday, June 1, 2012 11:29 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

The Java version should match your Windows version.

If you are using Windows 7 x64, please install 64 bit version of Java.

You may uninstall the all versions of Java and reinstall it.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:39 AM
  • Tracy,

thank you, the shuttle is an Intel Atom x86 based machine and I've installed 32bit Win 7 and likewise Java 32bit... I'm convinced it's something to do with 'rights'. I removed all java last night with JavaRa and re-installed Java 7 version 4 32bit... Still getting same results..

Thank you for your help

Graeme

Graeme!950

Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:58 AM
  • Hi ,

I also suspect if there are some applications conflict with Java.

This time, please disable all the security applications and run the programs in Safe Mode and Clean Boot environment to test the issue.

As this issue is related to Java, you may try posting the question on some Java Forums for assistance.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 1, 2012 8:28 AM
  • Thanks for the advicce,

I will not be able to do this till later on today in about 8 hours time... I'll let you know...

Thank you very much.

Graeme

Graeme!950

Friday, June 1, 2012 8:39 AM
  • I've been wracking my brain over this for the last 2 days, and I finally found this thread.  I have exactly the same issue.  I just finished submitting an bug report to Sun, but I'm not sure if that will help.

I just purchased a Shuttle XS36V, installed 4GB of RAM and a 120GB SSD into it.  Since Shuttle clearly states that this is only Windows 7 32-bitcompatible, I opted to install Windows 7 32-bit SP1 (via bootable USB flash drive, if that matters), rather than the 64-bit version I've used on my other two PCs.

I started off with the usual post-clean-install stuff, by installing Microsoft Security Essentials, relocating my user folders to a different partition (favorites, documents, pictures, etc), installing Google Chrome, and setting desktop image, screensaver and start menu options (most of this is obviously irrelevant, but I'm being thorough here).

Next, I used Internet Explorer to find and start installing Sun Java JRE 7u4 (online version the first time).  After it finished installing, I ran the Java test at http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp 

The Java logo appears while it's loading the applet, but then nothing.  Just a blank white box.  I followed each of the steps below that box to correct the problem.  The only one I could not do, was open the "Java" Control Panel in the Windows Control Panel.  The mouse cursor briefly shows activity when I attempt to open it, but nothing happens after that.  It's not showing up as a window or process in the Task Manager.  It simply won't start.

I then tried many things, but to no avail.  

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Java (and again for each of the steps below)

I tried uninstalling Google Chrome and setting IE as the default browser. 

I made sure that the Java add-on was enabled in Internet Options.

I made sure UAC was turned off.

I uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials.

I uninstalled Java again and tried installing Java JRE 6.

I tried using the javara utility to root out any pesky Java stuff still installed somwhere.

I found a forum thread suggesting using Revo Uninstaller to root out Java completely (files and registry entries).  I don't trust stuff like this, but this was a clean Windows install, so I didn't have much to lose.  It didn't help anyway.

Finally, I resorted to wiping the drive and reinstalling Windows 7 again.  This time, the only thing I did after installing Windows was to install the necessary Shuttle drivers, so I could get Internet access.  I already had the Java JRE 7u4 offline installer in my downloads folder (on my 2nd partition, which is why I relocate my user folders after installing Windows), so I installed Java from that.  And, I have exactly the same problem.  This time, however, Java was kind enough to spit out an error log, detailing an "exception_access_violation (0xc0000005) at pc=0x0000011c, pid=2280, tid=2968". 

Again, I can't start any Java applets or open the Java Control Panel at all.

Since Java is working fine on my other two computers, getting stuff to work in 64-bit Windows is much more challenging than 32-bit Windows, and I haven't installed anything else except hardware drivers after Windows that could possibly cause a conflict with Java, I can only assume this may be some weird hardware or driver problem with the Shuttle XS36V.  If this were a compatibility issue between Windows 7 32-bit SP1 and Java, I'm sure the Internet would be flooded with complaints about it.

I'm about to contact Shuttle, since I've run out of other ideas.

Friday, June 1, 2012 6:33 PM
  • OK!  For anyone who happens to find this article while searching for why Java will not work after installing Windows 7 32-bit SP1 on a Shuttle XS36V, I now have the solution that works, thanks to a rep at Shuttle support!

You probably have an older BIOS version that is in desperate need of upgrading.

I started by removing Java again from Windows 7.  Then I went to the following link, downloaded the latest version and flashed the BIOS.  After booting back into Windows, I installed Java JRE 7 SE and it works now!  I can both open the Java control panel and run Java applets.

You can get the latest Shuttle XS36V BIOS here:

http://global.shuttle.com/products/productsDownload?productId=1585&osId=8

Friday, June 1, 2012 8:08 PM
  • THANK YOU.....!

Flashing the BIOS has solved the problem... I had one slight hiccup, in that I'd left the SATA settings in IDE mode ( From when i had XP on there) and flashing set the SATA settings back to ACHI.. Win 7 wouldn't start, so I went into the BIOS changed settings to IDE and all o.k. You've really helped me out, again thank you for the answer.

Graeme!950

Friday, June 1, 2012 11:29 PM
  • Hi Xavier13 (and Graeme1950, too)

Thanks for posting this info. I hope you might have some advice for me. I purchased an XS36V for use as a POS almost immediately upon release about 3 months ago. I had the same issue as you where I couldn't get Java to load. Finally Shuttle emailed me to inform that a new BIOS had been released, version 1.02. I flashed the computer using the windows utility and this bricked the computer. Dang.

I returned the computer to Shuttle and waited for a replacement. I received it recently and today booted it up and confirmed it still had the original 1.00 BIOS and that I needed to flash the BIOS. I checked the website and see that an even newer version, 1.03, has been relased now. I tried flashing the BIOS in DOS this time, considering the problem I had with the windows utility last time. I followed the flashing instructions carefully and the last thing I saw was a confirmation that the new BIOS had been written 100% and verified 100%. Then the screen went blank and...nothing more. Bricked again.

So my question for you is: which utility did you use to flash your computer (Windows or DOS)? Have you tried updating to 1.03? Any advice? I'm at the end of my rope here. I bought this to use as a POS (and what a POS it has been!) nearly 3 months ago and it has yet to work a single day.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 8:43 PM