Bug Report: Vertical Page Justification RRS feed

• Question

• In Word 2010, select the Justified option for Vertical Alignment in the Page Setup dialog. Then adjacent paragraphs of the same style with a non-white background color have extra space inserted between them (correctly), but this space is filled with white instead of the correct background color. This causes a very ugly appearance and renders the vertical justification unusable in this case.

There is also a similar problem in which extra space is incorrectly inserted between rows of a table, causing an undesired spacing of the table cells when justified vertical alignment is turned on.

Saturday, July 7, 2012 10:37 PM

All replies

• The "Justified" option for Vertical Alignment has never been useful in Word. For one thing, it justifies (or tries to justify) the last page in each section, which looks terrible. If you are OK with that, choosing a "Page color" may suffice as a workaround for the shading issue.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Saturday, July 7, 2012 11:17 PM
  • Thanks for your response, and sorry about the delay in getting back. To give you a little background here, I'm an expert Word user, and I've typeset several highly technical books using nothing but Word with equations done by MathType. I am not looking for a solution to the problem I described above because I know it doesn't exist -- I am attempting to report a bug that should be easily fixable (and I'm qualified to make that judgment -- type my name into Google). But Microsoft doesn't appear to be interested in hearing about bugs in Word, even from people like me. So I have no choice but to post here and hope that somehow it gets through to somebody who cares and can do something about it. Believe it or not, Word is really close to being a strong solution for actual commercial book typesetting, but there are a few minor things that would need to be enhanced to get it all the way there. This issue is one of them.

I've been able to work around issue with the last page being vertically justified by simply setting the spacing after the last paragraph to a large amount. This causes the paragraphs to be neatly packed at the top of the page. I can also work around the problems with white spacing between shaded paragraphs and table rows by manually adding space before and after other paragraphs on the same page until the page is vertically packed full, but it's extremely tedious. Setting a page color is not helpful. There needs to either (a) be an option to prevent extra vertical justification spacing from being added between certain paragraph styles or (b) the paragraph renderer needs to account for this extra space when the background and borders are being drawn. Both should really be done.

The bottom line is that the vertical justification feature could be perfectly useful if an engineer would just take a little time to correct the way that it works. Perhaps somebody from Microsoft could run this issue up the ladder? Or even better, put me in direct contact with an engineer who works on Word.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:49 AM
  • Post your feedback at http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Office/feedback.aspx?formID=375.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:50 PM
  • Thanks for the link. I posted some feedback there about this issue, but it is clearly a black hole.
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:25 PM
  • Thanks for the link. I posted some feedback there about this issue, but it is clearly a black hole.

I certainly hope the link isn't a black hole, as I post there myself occasionally...

Friday, July 27, 2012 10:20 PM
  • check this link this may help you out

http://wordprocessing.about.com/od/wordprocessingsoftware/l/blvertalign.htm

Friday, August 17, 2012 10:21 AM