Styles showing + formatting when opening 2003 documents in 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• When I open a 2003 document in Word 2010, the style pane is filled with styles showing + Bold, Underline, etc.  I have "Keep track of formatting" turned off.  If I delete any of the + formatting styles, the document loses its formatting.  How can I turn off the tracked formatting when opening a file from the previous version of Word?

• Edited by orlandp Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:32 PM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:16 PM

Answers

• I'm surprised that the styles + formatting shows up when Keep track of formatting is turned off. But I just checked on my computer, and I see the same behavior.  I can only wonder when that changed.

But here's your fix:  Open the styles pane (Alt+Ctrl+Shft+s), click Options.  Clear the boxes under Select formatting to show as [if it were] styles

Pam

• Edited by PamCaswell Wednesday, May 23, 2012 6:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by orlandp Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:17 PM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 5:27 PM

All replies

• I'm surprised that the styles + formatting shows up when Keep track of formatting is turned off. But I just checked on my computer, and I see the same behavior.  I can only wonder when that changed.

But here's your fix:  Open the styles pane (Alt+Ctrl+Shft+s), click Options.  Clear the boxes under Select formatting to show as [if it were] styles

Pam

• Edited by PamCaswell Wednesday, May 23, 2012 6:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by orlandp Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:17 PM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 5:27 PM
  • On 2012-05-23 19:27 (GMT+1), PamCaswell wrote:

I'm surprised that the styles + formatting shows up when Keep track of formatting is turned off. But I just checked on my computer, and I see the same behavior.  I can only wonder when that changed.

This has been reported earlier, I believe. Word now ignores the "Keep track of formatting" option if the options to display direct formatting are checked in the Style Pane Options dialog box. :-(

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 6:08 PM
  • I do wish they wouldn't do things without telling us.  But because I recommend that people change the Style pane options settings instead of turning off Keep track of formatting—so they can still use select all instances of a style—I think it might be a good change. 

Pam

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 6:50 PM
  • On 2012-05-23 20:50 (GMT+1), PamCaswell wrote:

I do wish they wouldn't do things without telling us.  But because I recommend that people change the Style pane options settings instead of turning off Keep track of formatting—so they can still use select all instances of a style—I think it might be a good change. 

It's actually possible that no one has done this intentionally; that is, it might be a bug. :-)

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:15 PM
  • True. But they do make "little" changes ahead of new versions.

Pam

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:29 PM
  • On 2012-05-23 21:29 (GMT+1), PamCaswell wrote:

True. But they do make "little" changes ahead of new versions.

Indeed.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 9:06 PM