Errors w/ Windows Defender, Installer, Update & others RRS feed

• Question

• I have genuine Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit w/ service pack 1.

As of August 15, Windows Defender, Windows Update and Windows Installer have all refused to work.

On startup and when I try to open Defender from the security centre, I get the message Application failed to initialize: 0x800106ba. A problem caused this program's service to stop. To start the device, restart your computer or search Help and Support for how to start a service manually.

Windows Update will open and begin downloading an update, but midway through the download will stop with a 'some updates were not installed' message appearing, accompanied by error code 8009200D.

Windows Installer is also not working, with an error message appearing when I try to install anything, including the fixit for resetting Update.

I've followed the official help tips, including some basic registry edits suggested online, but to no avail. 
    Also, when I tried the command Del \Programdata\Microsoft\network\downloader\qmgr*.dat the qmgr* files were unable to be deleted.

On top of this (if you're still reading) all the standard games like minesweeper, hearts etc. have disappeared, and when I go to reactivate them through the 'Turn Windows features on or off' box in control panel>programs>programs and features, the box appears to be loading but stays blank, with no programs or their activation status showing.

I really hope someone here can offer advice, because the sheer scope and number of these problems is driving me insane
    Thanks in advance

Sunday, August 23, 2009 10:36 AM