Plugged in, but not charging RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Gateway, Vista of course, again. I have read numerous forums and posts and there are two threads that run consistently through them all. 

1) The denial from, who knows who all, that it "can not be an OS problem". and

2)  99% of all the submitted problems are persons using Vista, (including myself).

It is obvious to me that the error lies in Vista. Is that too hard to see? I'm no genius 

and don't claim to be an expert. But, this is close to common sense. 

Has this been fixed by now? I've tried to look for the solution, but ended up 

getting lost in the thousands of submissions. 

Thanks in advance to anyone who might point me in the right direction.

Thursday, August 28, 2014 6:03 AM

All replies

• When you plugged in your laptop, does the icon for battery and plug it turn on?

What is the status of your battery when you click on battery icon on notification area?

Try contact Gateway support and discuss this issue with them.

Thursday, August 28, 2014 5:12 PM
  • The icon is there and shows a battery with 0% power left. if I unplug the laptop, the battery starts flashing and

warns of impending shutdown due to lack of power. Then, it eventually does shut down. But, to just hover of the

battery icon will pop up a message, "plugged in but not charging". Sometimes if I let it go that far, it will get turned back on and it will 'sometimes' say plugged in and charging' message. But the charging bit is rare.

I could go discuss this issue with the fine people at Gateway and tell them everyone of the posts I read in the

last couple days and nights have all been from Vista users and they would try to suggest a couple things that

I've tried already and then the will tell why don't you go to MS and talk to them about Vista. Maybe a new mod

or a missed mod. So, that would just be wasting a lot more time. If  you  don't have a viable answer, then why

just throw out there 'why don't you go talk to Kaptain Kangeroo and see what he says. I don't think you're gonna get any points for those kind of suggestions. But, I hope I answered the other questions that were in

the post and thank you for replying. I believe it to be something embedded in the Vista software of course.

But, don't know the programming side of the house. Just a technician, but I worked with the engineers and programmers over the years to have a lot of things 'rub off' on me...

Have a great day all,    M 

Saturday, September 6, 2014 12:38 AM
  • It seems like a hardware related issue and most likely problem with the battery, if possible try use different battery and check if problem persist.
    Saturday, September 6, 2014 7:58 PM
  • I can see how the battery could be involved. Unfortunately, I don't have a 'spare' batt layin around for a Gateway laptop. What if I run it up without a batt at all. Would that tell me anything productive?

M

Monday, September 8, 2014 6:10 AM
  • If you take out the battery, then PC will detect power icon and battery icon with cross on it and display battery not detected.
    Tuesday, September 9, 2014 6:29 PM