none
mmc has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it - Server 2012 R2

Question

• Hello,

I'm having some issues with GPMC on my 2012R2 domain controller. Every time I try to open comp config > policies > windows settings I receive the error message "mmc has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it" with the error message "mmc has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it" and with the exception trace code stating:

Could not load file or assembly 'dnscmmc,
    Version=6.3.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of
    its dependencies. This assembly is built by a runtime newer than the currently
    loaded runtime and cannot be loaded

I also receive the a similar error message when I try to open the and configure the firewall settings in any of my GPOs.

"mmc has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it" and the exception trace message stating:

Could not load file or assembly 'AuthFWSnapin,
    Version=6.3.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of
    its dependencies. This assembly is built by a runtime newer than the currently
    loaded runtime and cannot be loaded.

This error only occurs on my DC. There is only one DC in my entire forest because the environment is so small.  After installing Win 7 remote admin tools on a Win 7 PC and using GPMC from the workstation, no error messages are received.

I found a similar issue happening on Server 2008 R2 but that required a hotfix and something to do with .net 3.5.x. My server is up to date with all updates and patches. I ran sfc /scannow, no luck.  I reverted back from using a GPO central store and the same thing is still happening. I also searched for dnscmmc and AuthFWSnapin on the DC to see if the files were missing. I found both but they have a newer version number than what the error message is complaining about.

I tried attaching the error images to this post but could not because my account needs to be verified still.

If anyone has any more troubleshooting ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tibor

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 6:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Tibor,
    Please go to check if There is a cache file named "adminconsole" for the MMC under C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MMC, in this case, you could try deleting this file and test again.

Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 6:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Tibor,
    Please go to check if There is a cache file named "adminconsole" for the MMC under C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MMC, in this case, you could try deleting this file and test again.

Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 6:09 AM
  • Hi Tibor, we have the same issue. We 'solved' by uninstalling the .NET Framework 3.5 Feature... but it's not really a solution for us... did you found a better/real solution for this Problem?

Thanks an Kind Regard, Richard

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 3:51 PM