Lost ability to right click multiple files and choose 'open with' RRS feed

• Question

• In XP I can select a bunch of mp3 files, for example, right click and choose 'open with...' whatever application I want.

In windows 7 I only get 'open with' in the context menu on single files. How do I enable 'open with' for a selection of files? Please tell me Windows 7 hasn't disabled this useful behaviour.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    You have not misunderstand anything. Microsoft has removed the feature out of Windows 7. You don't need to have concern of it.
    Some features are removed in Windows such as movie maker or live mail. So don't worry.
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, March 16, 2010 6:16 AM
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can change the register key to realize the function.

For example, your mp3 player is windows media player, you can copy the following content (without quote) to the notepad and save it with the “.reg” extension.

The context is below:

Warning: While this procedure might solve the issue or problem, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk. For more information about modifying the registry, see Microsoft support article 256986.

“Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open with]

@="open with player"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open with\command]

@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\wmplayer.exe\" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\removeproperties]

"ProgrammaticAccessOnly"="Apartment"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\removeproperties\DropTarget]

"CLSID"="{09a28848-0e97-4cef-b950-cea037161155}" ”

You should change the bold text with the path of your player. After you’ve changed the key, you can right click the chosen MP3 files and choose “open with player” to play the music.

If you still have some problems, please post here.

• Edited by Ronnie VernonMVP Thursday, March 11, 2010 2:05 PM Added required registry warning
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:36 AM
  • Thank you. But why would they disable this useful function? For example, sometimes I'll want to open my selection of mp3s in foobar, and other times I'll want to open them with mp3tag. Why should I have to set up separate registry entries for what was an easy job in XP?

Why would they do that, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:47 AM
  • Hi,
    You have not misunderstand anything. Microsoft has removed the feature out of Windows 7. You don't need to have concern of it.
    Some features are removed in Windows such as movie maker or live mail. So don't worry.
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, March 16, 2010 6:16 AM
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:30 AM
  • If I may ask …

What would be the registry edit that would place wmplayer at the top of the R click context menu ..

Without having to take the “Open With” >   “Multiple Choice Test” route  Like could be done in XP

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:22 PM
  • This IS INCREDIBLY USEFUL! :-D Thanks so much Leon823.

"Booo" to Microsoft certainly.

Here is my question: To do this for other file types and other applications what should be changed in the code?

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:45 PM
  • Hi,

Nice post. ;) ONE THING is to remove useless "movie maker" or "live mail", OTHER THING is to disable core features that enhance user productivity.
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:49 PM
  • Just a few things Leon 823.

Your Answer "We broke it on purpose so you dont need to worry about it"

was marked as "Answered" by someone who didn't ask the question.

This is means it OBVIOUSLY IS NOT ANSWERED.

Your response also is not an answer, more of a blow off - "we know but we dont care"

UNFORTUNATELY, the only way to improve productivity is to UPGRADE to WinXP and while your at it UPGRADE form Office 2007 to Office 2003.

SAD but TRUE

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:14 AM
  • As far as I can tell, Microsoft is now assuming that their entire user base are complete idiots and probably shouldn't be allowed to use a computer, so they've just removed many of the features a competent user would expect--and have gotten used to--since Microsoft introduced them in the first place.

Ballmer--you might be computer illiterate, but there are some Gates still left in this world--and we are now looking for an alternative O/S......

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 11:50 PM
  • Tip that worked for me: select them all and then drag them to the application you want to use, worked for Excel anyway. Very annoying this feature is removed
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 2:15 PM
  • Thanks to Leon 823 for a workable solution.

For those looking for being able to do this with other types of files, here is one I did for passing files to Photoshop.  You can compare the similarities with Leon 823's answer.

Copy the following code into a text file, then

Save the file as OpenWithPhotoshop.reg or similar.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open with]

@="Open with Photoshop"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open with\command]
    @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1\\Photoshop.exe\" \"%1\""

"CLSID"="{09a28848-0e97-4cef-b950-cea037161155}"

• Edited by alfordw Friday, March 16, 2012 12:57 AM
    • Proposed as answer by asco-o Saturday, August 18, 2012 4:14 PM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 12:55 AM
  • Thanks a lot, this worked great, now I can open multiple files with Photoshop with right click!

Saturday, August 18, 2012 4:14 PM
  • I just did this and it asks "Choose the program you want to use to open this type of file" before every single file, even though I've clicked "always use this program for files of this type." So I still have to click back to the window every time.

Do you know what I did wrong?

More importantly, do you know how to reverse this so I go back to my original registry entries? Stupidly, I did not make any backup copies first.

Thank you!

Sunday, January 6, 2013 2:02 AM
  • This is incredibly insulting to say, "You don't need to have concern of it " 

We DO have concern, because you have taken away a useful feature. Now is the time for apologies or helpful advice on how to regain the feature. Not a brush-off!

Sunday, January 6, 2013 2:03 AM
  • Aha! For anyone else with the same trouble, I was using a version of Photoshop that was not CS5.1, so I had to adjust the file name in the registry to reflect the files on my computer.
    Sunday, January 6, 2013 2:35 AM
  • Nice "Answer". I am so sick of people not reading the question, then "answering" with whatever it is they do know. The question didn't say anything about whether I should worry that something is wrong. It asked where the feature went.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW, OR HAVE ANYTHING OF VALUE TO ADD, THEN DON'T REPLY OR POST ANYTHING. KEEP YOUR NON-KNOWLEDGE TO YOURSELF PLEASE.

Don't post things like: "yeah I had that problem too" or "If it hurts when you do that, then if you don't do that it wont hurt", or " I couldn't find the answer either. Good luck!"

Geez....

Oh yeah....and someone, ANYONE, at microsoft should try to use their software for a little while just for the heck of it. It would probably help them understand their customers better. Just a thought.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:04 PM
  • Ballmer--you might be computer illiterate, but there are some Gates still left in this world--and we are now looking for an alternative O/S......

Sincerely and wholeheartedly agree. At this point Microsoft's entire user base is comprised of the know-nots, who don't have a clue why advanced users don't want anything to do with Microsoft. Would you believe I've gone so far as to implement a Firefox extension that bars any and all search results that redirect to microsoft.com from appearing? I did that about a year ago and never once regretted it. But consider the implications: I'm saying that, if I have questions about a Microsoft software product, I'd rather view answers provided by literally anyone else in the world other than the people who created the software my questions pertain to ( I oopsed my way to this page, link to link to link etc.) I find that unbelievable, and it says a lot; specifically, it says their reps are Ballmers not Gates, and a Ballmer cannot help a Gates when it comes to software tech stuff. Your typical intrepid Microsoft Support person will simply RESTATE WHAT YOU ALREADY KNOW, not provide a workaround, which is what I and many, many others look for. And he certainly will never acknowledge that the issue is YET ANOTHER WINDOWS PROBLEM THAT SHOULD BE FIXED.

All that said, their current setup will still generate revenue, if only because there are 10 Ballmers for every one Gates so they have the majority. It's like at my gym, all the hardcore lifters left because the owner turned it into more of a YMCA-type fitness place, but is he suffering financially? Hell no, he has more people (eg. women) signing up than ever. The world is geared toward accomodating the Ballmers, not the Gates :)

• Edited by GuccizBud Saturday, October 26, 2013 6:59 PM
    Saturday, October 26, 2013 6:42 PM
  • Ronnie,

Why did you include the last 4 lines?  It isn't needed to fulfill the request.  I'm not complaining I'm just curious.  I've seen other people do the same thing.  I've researched this and people say that RemoveProperies feature is used to remove properties from a file.... Or am I mistaken and that last piece is required.  If I am mistaken, what exactly do you gain from it?  Is that what allows you to select multiple files?

"CLSID"="{09a28848-0e97-4cef-b950-cea037161155}" ”

Thank you,

Kevin

Helpful nice guy

Monday, December 16, 2013 6:59 PM
  • Why? Because Microsoft uses less common sense than our government.  No matter what anyone says, "The menu system in Office 2003 was THE BEST.  The Office 2007 and beyond menu system makes no sense.  It takes up too much space and has a lot less features.

Helpful nice guy

Monday, December 16, 2013 7:01 PM
  • I am a communications professional and the idea of not being able to select 19 or 20 files and open them all up at once was quite troublesome. SO, after reading this information, I thought "Let's try these steps out of order."

The old way: (1) Navigate to folder. (2) select group of files (3) Right Click (4) Choose Open

The NEW Way: (1) Open Word. (2) Access "File Tab" and select Open (3) Navigate to folder. (4) Select group of files. (5) Click Open.

Enjoy! -AJ

Monday, January 27, 2014 9:19 PM
  • This is a useful reply - but I (& I guess thousands of others) find it more productive to highlight files in a directory (aka folder) and use a multiple "open with".

It is almost as if there are a bunch of programers who continually want to make their own mark and reinvent the wheel. To simply improve an operating system is no longer satisfying - it has to be rejigged completely.

I found that in Windows 95, 98, Millennium & XP, the programs by and large intuitive to operate. That is no longer the case.  Also I find myself continually downloading programs to customise windows 7 and 10, to return the machine to be able to serve me, and not me having to be a slave to a machine!  Consider I run; Classic Search, Classic Shell, Tweak W7, Classic Menu for Office 2010, Win7 Navigation Pane Customizer, A reprogramed Ctrl+P in Word 2010 to operate as FilePrint, 'Take Control' and unhide the Start Menu so I can organise it, etc. All of this to regain the functionality of Windows XP. I have reluctantly just migrated to Win 7 and Win 10 (on my second machine) from Xp, only because the 3rd Party Web Browsers have abandoned Xp.

I am sure some savvy non-MS programmer will provide a tweak for multiple "open with" - one more program to add to a growing array to get back control over the operating system! Many of my friends have taken the plunge and migrated to Apple Macs, and have not regretted it.

Monday, December 4, 2017 12:05 PM