Right Click On Selective Desktop Icon Does Not Work RRS feed

• Question

• After my recent Window's 7 update, when ever I start my computer, the right click on program related desktop icons does not work.  However, if I select a Window's 7 program icon (i.e., control panel, recycle bin, computer, etc.) it works fine.  I have to log off and login again for the right click to work.  Any suggestions or assistance would be appreciated.  Thanks Ronnie.
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 11:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to know if the issue only occurs on desktop? How about Windows Explorer? Can you open these programs? Does the issue occur on every reboot?

Since the issue occurred after installing the update, please perform System Restore first. If it doesn't work, perform clean boot or Safe Mode to verify the third party cause. You also can create new user account to check the result.

In addition, try to use ShellExView to check third party Shell extensions.

1.     Download ShellExView v1.41 from the following link http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2.     Right-click the "shexview.zip" file, select "Extract All", the Extraction Wizard will prompt.

3.     Click Next, input "C:\ShellExView" (without the quotation marks) in the "Files will be extracted to this directory" textbox.

4.     Click Next and click Finnish.

5.     Open the "C:\ShellExView" folder and double-click the "shexview.exe" file. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

6.     Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

7.     Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.

8.     Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolve

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Monday, August 8, 2011 3:06 AM
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 9:22 AM