none
Do I have the option to run LTI and ZTI deployments from the same server? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I volunteer at a community center with 20 workstations offered for free public use. We have a single server running SCCM 2012 R2 Config Manager

• We started with Server 2012 doing LTI deployments with MDT
    • We upgraded to SCCM 2012 R2 config manager and now running MS antivirus on server and workstations. But still do LTI deployments.
    • Moving to ZTI deployment is next step. But once we start down that path, do we need to get everything about ZTI right before we can do deployments again? Or can we still rely on LTI till we get ZTI right?

Thanks for any info/help. None of the IT volunteers at the Center have a Server background - except one whose experience is limited (My IT background was in real-time systems. Now i'm learning Windows Server in "real-time" so have lots of questions :)  )

Thanks for the help/info for us Server noobs :)

Saturday, April 23, 2016 3:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• I haven't ever tried to when using WDS.  Do you PXE boot your deployments or do you use boot media?  If you are just using boot media then MDT is just a share.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it.

Saturday, April 23, 2016 3:36 PM
  • You raise some good questions

We normally PXE boot (so we rely on WDS). But I've also created USB boot media as a backup deployment method.  Thanks for the reminder.  We had occasion to use USB boot media once in the past when we had a WDS issue. It was a while back and forgot we'll still have USB boot media option

Your questions also reminded me... After a prior failed attempt to config ZTI, we found PXE stopped working.  Turns out setting up ZTI removed the WDS role on reboot. I don't now recall if that was an option that could be avoided. In any case, reinstalling WDS role quickly fixed the problem. So I think we'll be OK and, worst case, may only need reinstall WDS again.

Thanks for the reply

Sunday, April 24, 2016 12:15 AM