none
Trying to get to SPI and CPI in MS Project Server 2010 and PWA RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Trying to establish some sense of overall portfolio performance for projects that we're operating, from a schedule perspective. In doing so, I'm pulling SPI values, via PWA views. I've noticed that some projects have a value of 0 for BCWS and BCWP, which results in a value of 0 for SPI.

We have a mixture of situations surrounding resources, that I suspect might be contributing to this. I'm looking for some insight from those who may have already done this.

We have:

• Contract IT resoruces who have assigned hourly rates (values)
    • Internal IT resources who do not have hourly rates assigned
    • External vendors who are paid 'by the job', and are not associated with individual rates in MS Project Pro

Has anyone else run into this and figured out a way to get reliable SPI values when there are resources whose specific rates/values are not represented in MS Project Pro?

Thank you,

Michael... PMP, PSM-I

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 5:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• If hours of work are not reasonably accurate then hourly rate isn't your problem. Assuming accurate enough hours of work, then you need to have at least $1/h set as a rate before baselining.

However, SPI etc is only one measure and not that good a one either, especially for time performance.

Does each project "deliver continuous and effective added value on go live" is a far more relevant but harder to evaluate measure. For this you need better quality Business cases to  define how sustained and actual benefit will be realised and then schedules that focus on delivering a sustained and actual benefit based on evolving business needs. So I don't fuss about SPI except as an indicator for individual projects.

Overall you can focus on % Complete * Baseline cost for each project as earned value, but that too can be problematic. So "What will make your project/program" successful? Try and measure progress towards that.

Good luck!

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 7:53 PM
  • Rod,

Thank you for the thoughts on this!

Michael...

Monday, August 22, 2016 7:26 PM
  • Rod,

I've done more work on this, which has lead ot more questions :)

I've added rates for all resources in the enterprise resource pool. So... here's the current situation:

• Resources all have a standard rate
    • Project was baselined prior to resources having had rates defined
    • 'Cost' column (now contianing values greater than 0) has been copied to 'Baseline cost'
    • Project Status Date has been brought up to date
    • Project has been published

...but CPI, SPI, and TCPI still show zero.

Besides those items that I've bulleted above, are there other critera I might need to meet before I can expect to see the index values being populated?

Regards,

Michael Worden, PMP, PSM-I

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 8:08 PM
  • As well as saving Task cost to baseline cost, you need to save cost to baseline cost for each individual week in the Task Usage View.

I suspect a re-save of the baseline or a save to a new baseline will be easier!

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book and VBA developer.

Friday, September 16, 2016 5:18 AM
  • Rod,

I discovered the baseline solution while awaiting your reply, but not surprisingly, you were right on. Actually, I needed to snap baseline 0, then copy the duration baseline, start baseline, finish baseline, and work baseline data values for the highest baseline number (i.e., BL3) back to baseline 0 to ensure that these are not reset, thus eliminating duration variance, start variance, finish variance, and work variance - based on the way our organization maintains baselines.

So... thank you for your confirmation here, that I was on the right track.

Can you tell me what role does 'status date' play in the calculation of the earned value measurements?

I'm supposing that the status date is the date at which the earned value metrics are measured at - and I have several project managers who like to let the status date lapse to being over 30 days old. When this happens, am I getting an out of date reading on earned value point such as SPI and CPI?

Thank you kindly, for your considerate response...

Saturday, September 17, 2016 4:30 AM
  • Yep. People, process, tools. Looks like you need to deliver more training and get reinforcement for following process ;-)

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book and VBA developer.

• Marked as answer by WordenMichaelB Wednesday, September 28, 2016 6:10 PM
    Saturday, September 24, 2016 4:20 AM
  • Once again... Thank you.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 6:10 PM