STOP: 0x0000005c BSOD RRS feed

• Question

•  

I went away for the weekend and according to my girlfriend, there was an auto update performed last night at 3m.  I came home to the bsod with the above error message.

I've tried booting from CD and when that didn't work, resetting the CMOS; the only thing I haven't done yet is start unplugging hardware to see if one of the devices is causing this. 

What's strange is that we've been running Vista Home Premium 64 bit for a few months now with no problems; and now after an update there is this BSOD. 

Any thoughts would help, I'm going to contact MSI tomorrow to see if they can help from the motherboard front, maybe a new bios would help 

System is as follows:

MSI K9N4 SLI MB

AMD 64x2 3800+ CPU

2g RAM (Corsair 4x512)

ATI 256MB Graphics Card

Monday, September 24, 2007 2:48 AM

All replies

• I don't know if there was an update last night or not, but I woke up to the exact same issue.

Stop 0x0000005c (0x0000010B, 0x00000003, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Hardware has been running Vista fine for about a year!  I changed to Quad Core a couple of weeks ago, but system has been completely stable since.  Googling this issue only seems to uncover people having this issue during initial Vista installation.  The error is something to do with being unable to load the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer).

My system is:

EVGA i680 SLI MB

Intel Q6600

4GB Crucial Ballistix

Geforce 8800GTX

Any help would be appreciated as this is a system killer error.

Thursday, October 4, 2007 4:10 PM