none
Can i Stop the running merge of an Snapshot RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

We have transfered our Exchange-Server from a 2008 R2 Hyper-V to a 2016 Hyper-V.

The VM has a very big and old Snapshot. We tried first to merge the Snapshot on the 2008 HyperV but

this was impossible. So we transfered the VM To the new Hyper-V. After the Transfer the Merge started automaticly.

Our Problem is, that the Merge take a lot of Performance, so that our Servers are running but with a very bad performance.

My Question: Does anybody know what the VM will do when i abort the Merge.

Will it stop and i can restart it later. Or will it ruin my complete Config?

Regards

Andreas

Monday, April 15, 2019 12:23 PM

Answers

• Stopping the merge is not a recommended one. But i would suggest to take a down time of that Vm. when the VM is in off state the merge operation completes a bit faster than being online.

And as far as i know there is no in-built mechanism to stop/pause the merge operation and restart it later.

Regards,
    Bala N

• Marked as answer by ColumbusEDV Tuesday, April 16, 2019 11:46 AM
    Monday, April 15, 2019 4:55 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

1. First, snapshots can't be used as a backup method, they can only be used for development and testing.

2. The merge time depends on the size of your snapshot, so if our snapshot is too large, the merge time itself will be very long, at this time, we should find a downtime, and then close the VM and merge again.

3. We'd better not terminate this process manually. I don't think canceling the merge manually will affect the current state of our VM, but it's hard to guarantee that our snapshot is still intact, so the best way is to let the merge complete.

Please let me know if you have any other question.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by ColumbusEDV Tuesday, April 16, 2019 11:47 AM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2019 3:29 AM
  • In addition:

I discussed with my colleague, we think if we abort the Merge, it is possible that VM can not start, if so, we need to find the VHD of the virtual machine and use it to recreate a new virtual machine.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 5:11 AM

All replies

• Stopping the merge is not a recommended one. But i would suggest to take a down time of that Vm. when the VM is in off state the merge operation completes a bit faster than being online.

And as far as i know there is no in-built mechanism to stop/pause the merge operation and restart it later.

Regards,
    Bala N

• Marked as answer by ColumbusEDV Tuesday, April 16, 2019 11:46 AM
    Monday, April 15, 2019 4:55 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

1. First, snapshots can't be used as a backup method, they can only be used for development and testing.

2. The merge time depends on the size of your snapshot, so if our snapshot is too large, the merge time itself will be very long, at this time, we should find a downtime, and then close the VM and merge again.

3. We'd better not terminate this process manually. I don't think canceling the merge manually will affect the current state of our VM, but it's hard to guarantee that our snapshot is still intact, so the best way is to let the merge complete.

Please let me know if you have any other question.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 3:29 AM
  • In addition:

I discussed with my colleague, we think if we abort the Merge, it is possible that VM can not start, if so, we need to find the VHD of the virtual machine and use it to recreate a new virtual machine.

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 5:11 AM
  • Many Thanks for your suggestions. The Problem has been solved, by an shutdown from our virtual host due to Overload :-) , After this Shutdown the VM boots normal without errors and do not start the merge again.

We will fix the Snapshot in an bigger Maintenance window.

Best Regards

Andreas

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 11:53 AM
  • You are welcome!

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 2:10 AM