none
Email delivery issue to Exchange 2007 server

Question

• Hi Guys,

I have one client which I have issue is delivering emails to them. They are using Exchange 2007 single server multirole and I'm on Hybrid 2013/EO using IronPort. I found and detected there server is in open relay.

Does this config in anyway affect email delivery to them?

I can always telnet to them successfully. 

NDR:

Remote Server returned '< #4.4.0 smtp; 4.4.0 - Other network problem '[Errno 0] Error' (delivery attempts: 0)>'<o:p></o:p>

BR,
    Uddan

• Edited by Uddan Tuesday, November 22, 2016 4:22 AM Additional details
    Tuesday, November 22, 2016 4:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This maybe an issue the recipients mail server. Can you supply the bounce back and generating server?

Regards,

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 11:03 AM
  • Hi,

If open relay configuration will affect email delivery to them, it will affect all user mailbox in your environment, not just one client. After doing some research, I think this could be the issue with IronPort. And you could find more information about undelivered email in IronPort log.

I would like to collect some information for troubleshooting.

1. Is their Exchange 2007 configured with IronPort?
    2. In your IronPort, do you configure something that will block this user sending message to that domain?
    3. Do message tracking to see if undelivered emails are delivered to IronPort successfully.

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 24, 2016 8:34 AM
  • Hi Lynn,

Below are the answers. Please let me know if you need more information.

1. Is their Exchange 2007 configured with IronPort? No they don't use Ironport.

Their Exchange 2007 is stand alone and within is MacAfee spam filter. Their server is directly facing the internet (no firewall). This as per them.
    2. In your IronPort, do you configure something that will block this user sending message to that domain?

No we don't have any configuration to block them.
    3. Do message tracking to see if undelivered emails are delivered to IronPort successfully.

Yes, it being queued for delivery. I can send them through telnet but, not on regular email from Outlook except one mailbox account which no problem delivering email to them.

Thanks!
      Uddan

Friday, November 25, 2016 6:55 AM
  • Hi Faeem,

Here the NDR looks like. This generates from our server.

First Bounced
    Remote Server returned '< #4.4.0 smtp; 4.4.0 - Other network problem '[Errno 0] Error' (delivery attempts: 0)>'

2nd Bounced
    Remote Server returned '< #5.4.7 smtp; 5.4.7 - Delivery expired (message too old) '[Errno 0] Error' (delivery attempts: 0)>'

Friday, November 25, 2016 6:58 AM