.Net Framework 4.7.2 showing as not needed for Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• We have a Windows Server 2016 WSUS server with a couple hundred servers checking into it for updates.  Our Windows Server 2016 servers have .NET Framework 4.6.2 installed on them by default.  When they check in to WSUS, .NET framework 4.7, 4.7.1, and 4.7.2 never downloads to them.  I searched for "Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2" in updates in WSUS and I see a whole bunch of options for different OS's including one with the same KB4054590 for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64 but I do not see one specifically for Server 2016.  

I searched the Microsoft Update Catalog and "Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 for Windows 10 Version 1607 and Server 2016 for x64 (KB4054590)" shows up in there.  I downloaded it and it installed on one of the 2016 servers just fine.  

Other Server OS's have 4.7.2 installed and get the Cumulative updates for .NET framework when they come out.  Why are the 2016 servers different and not getting any .NET framework updates?

Thursday, June 20, 2019 7:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The following notes are available on the .NET product support page:

Note

• A recommended update may be installed automatically on all supported platforms based on your computer settings on Windows Update.
    • For Windows 10, version 1607 (non-LTSB), the update is available on WU, WSUS, and Update Catalog.
    • For Windows 10, version 1607 (LTSB); Windows 10, version 1703; and Windows Server 2016, the update is available on Update Catalog only.

This seems to be the reason, perhaps the design of the product.
    Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by WSUAL2 Thursday, June 27, 2019 7:43 PM
    Friday, June 21, 2019 8:47 AM
  • Hi,

In research the issues you mentioned, I noticed this article: "Introducing the .NET Framework Monthly Rollup", which mentions some questions that can answer questions:

• The .NET Framework Monthly Rollup will be available for Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008 SP2, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2.

• The .NET Framework Monthly Rollup is not for Windows 10 but for earlier versions of Windows, as described above. On Windows 10, these same .NET Framework security and reliability updates are included in Monthly Windows Updates, in both security and reliability and security-only flavors, similar to the .NET Framework Monthly Rollup.

So keep the Windows Server 2016 server up to get the latest cumulative updates, which is how to update the .NET Framework.

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 24, 2019 8:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The following notes are available on the .NET product support page:

Note

• A recommended update may be installed automatically on all supported platforms based on your computer settings on Windows Update.
    • For Windows 10, version 1607 (non-LTSB), the update is available on WU, WSUS, and Update Catalog.
    • For Windows 10, version 1607 (LTSB); Windows 10, version 1703; and Windows Server 2016, the update is available on Update Catalog only.

This seems to be the reason, perhaps the design of the product.

Regards,
    Yic

Friday, June 21, 2019 8:47 AM
  • Ah, very informative.  Thank you.

So, what I find interesting is that I can manually download the 4.7.2 installer for Windows Server 2016 and install it, yet in my searching I have not found any Cumulative Updates for .NET Framework 4.7.2 for Windows Server 2016 like there is for other Server OS versions.  Does that mean there is only the base 4.7.2 install for Windows Server 2016 but no cumulative or security updates? 

Friday, June 21, 2019 8:04 PM
  • Hi,

In research the issues you mentioned, I noticed this article: "Introducing the .NET Framework Monthly Rollup", which mentions some questions that can answer questions:

• The .NET Framework Monthly Rollup will be available for Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008 SP2, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2.

• The .NET Framework Monthly Rollup is not for Windows 10 but for earlier versions of Windows, as described above. On Windows 10, these same .NET Framework security and reliability updates are included in Monthly Windows Updates, in both security and reliability and security-only flavors, similar to the .NET Framework Monthly Rollup.

So keep the Windows Server 2016 server up to get the latest cumulative updates, which is how to update the .NET Framework.

Regards,
    Yic

Monday, June 24, 2019 8:43 AM
  • Very good.  Thank you for the information.
    Thursday, June 27, 2019 7:44 PM