Type 2 Virtual Machine in Hyper-V will not PXE boot with WDS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Bit of a wierd scenario this but I'm doing a bit of a lab experiment kind of thing. The setup is as follows:

VMWare Workstation 10 with Windows Server 2012 R2 running as a virtual machine. In VMW10 I have a NAT network interface and a Bridging interface set to load with the virtual machine. These seem to work fine (although the NAT doesn't seem to want to connect to the internet but that's why the bridging one is there in addition).

Server 2012 is configured with the following roles:

ADDS, DHCP, DNS, Hyper-V, Printer, WDS

I have correctly configured WDS to work on the same machine as DHCP and I can get PXE boot working with WDS on a Type1 Virtual Machine in Hyper-V using the Legacy Network adapter. My problem is when I try and PXE boot on a Type2 Virtual Machine (this type is new in R2 and should eliminate the need for a legacy network adapter) using the same network interface that I used for the Type1 machine, I get an IP address from DHCP but WDS doesn't seem to respond. Instead I get the "PXE-E16: No Offer Received" message. I have tried just about everything I can think of and spent the whole day trying to figure out why this is the case but came up with nothing. Has anyone else encountered this or can anyone shed any light on the matter? 

Many thanks in advance

• Edited by Zipster1 Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:36 AM
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:35 AM

Answers

• "VMWare Workstation 10 with Windows Server 2012 R2"and "Server 2012 is configured with the following roles: ADDS, DHCP, DNS, Hyper-V, Printer, WDS"

Hyper-V is not supported to be run as a VM.  It is a Type 1 hypervisor, which means it works on the bare metal.  You have it running as a VM on a Type-2 hypervisor, so it has no access to the bare metal.  Yes, VMware may have made it so some things work in that environment, but it is not a supported (or tested) environment for Hyper-V.

.:|:.:|:. tim

• Marked as answer by Zipster1 Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:34 PM
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 3:48 PM

All replies

• "VMWare Workstation 10 with Windows Server 2012 R2"and "Server 2012 is configured with the following roles: ADDS, DHCP, DNS, Hyper-V, Printer, WDS"

Hyper-V is not supported to be run as a VM.  It is a Type 1 hypervisor, which means it works on the bare metal.  You have it running as a VM on a Type-2 hypervisor, so it has no access to the bare metal.  Yes, VMware may have made it so some things work in that environment, but it is not a supported (or tested) environment for Hyper-V.

.:|:.:|:. tim

• Marked as answer by Zipster1 Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:34 PM
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 3:48 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. That saves me the trouble of doing any more fault finding when running hyper-v in the current environment. 
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:17 PM