User Profile Migration Question (with Outlook Data) RRS feed

• Question

• We are going to be adding a few heavily used laptop workstations to an existing Windows 2012 R2 Essentials domain network.  The OS on the laptops is Windows 7 Professional.  My concern is getting the existing local user profiles transferred to the new domain profiles, without losing any current values.  In particular, I am concerned about getting the user's existing Outlook data transferred.  The goal is for them to have a transparent experience, with the workstations behaving exactly as they did before in terms of Outlook.

I have been told that getting Outlook to emerge intact when going from a local profile to a new domain profile can be challenging.  We need to get the email account information (login, password, mail server port values, etc.) as well as the existing Outlook data properly connected (PST file, appointments, contacts/addresses, etc.).  Please note that the actual Outlook program does not need to be moved or reinstalled.  It will continue to be run from the local disk.

There appear to be several possible ways to implement this profile transfer:

1). Via the 2012E "Connector" program (checking the box to move user data).

2). Via Windows 7 Easy Transfer (does this also bring the Outlook data over)?

3). Via a third party utility, such as Forensic User Profile or a Zinstall product.

Given our situation (with email being a critical concern), how should we implement this profile transfer?  These are going to be executive/owner's machines, and we really want to avoid lost/missing/disconnected email problems.  They all use Outlook heavily.

Thanks very much.

John

Friday, April 29, 2016 3:58 PM

Answers

• Hi:

I would test and practice with and then use Forensit's product.  I do it manually, but I don't have time constraints and as the domain admin copying desktop, favorites, documents from one profile to the other is easy.  Moving and re-attaching the .pst file is also easy.  There is also a method using robocopy.  But if you want to be sure you get everything with the least effort, then Forensit's profile mover is the easiest, once you master it, which is not hard.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

• Proposed as answer by Alvwan Tuesday, May 3, 2016 2:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by JN92 Tuesday, May 3, 2016 1:27 PM
    Saturday, April 30, 2016 12:13 PM
  • Hi,

Below is the feature comparison of User Profile Comparison:

More article for your reference:

How to Migrate Windows User Profile to New Account

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/15637.how-to-migrate-windows-user-profile-to-new-account.aspx

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 2, 2016 3:45 AM

All replies

• Hi:

I would test and practice with and then use Forensit's product.  I do it manually, but I don't have time constraints and as the domain admin copying desktop, favorites, documents from one profile to the other is easy.  Moving and re-attaching the .pst file is also easy.  There is also a method using robocopy.  But if you want to be sure you get everything with the least effort, then Forensit's profile mover is the easiest, once you master it, which is not hard.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Saturday, April 30, 2016 12:13 PM
  • Thanks Larry.  Two quick follow-up questions:

1). Can we use the free version of the Forensit User Profile tool for this (including Outlook)?

2). Do you know if this tool brings the Outlook account details over (account ID and password, mail server ports, etc.) along with the PST files?

John

Saturday, April 30, 2016 8:34 PM
  • Hi,

Below is the feature comparison of User Profile Comparison:

More article for your reference:

How to Migrate Windows User Profile to New Account

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/15637.how-to-migrate-windows-user-profile-to-new-account.aspx

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 2, 2016 3:45 AM
  • Thanks for the helpful information.

John

Monday, May 2, 2016 2:33 PM