none
[best practice] cascading task-sequences... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi techNet

I am the sysadmin in a K12 school.
    Every year we reimage all our computers. This summer holiday, I will be giving MDT a try.

In our school, we need three types of images, each of which with its own software:

• image 1 = Windows + Office + irfanview
    • image 2 = image 1 + A LOT educational software
    • image 3 = image 2 + development software (think: Visual Studio and Photoshop)

How do I build my tasksequences in MDT?
    Is there a way to incorporate the tasksequence of the previous image?

Or do I really need to add the irfanview-installation in all 3 of my tasksequences?
    And then - on the day of deployment - find out there is an upgrade and I need to update all my sequences...

I think / hope you know what I am trying to ask...
    Thank you for your answers

J.

• Edited by JBrussich Sunday, May 15, 2016 4:07 PM
    Sunday, May 15, 2016 4:06 PM

All replies

• Hi, you can add Applications in MDT.Office, Irvanview etc. Create your 3 Tasksequences and add the Applications you need (maybe as a bundle)

App1=Office

App2= Irfanview

App6 =Photoshop

1TS= Image +App1+App2

2TS=Image + App1,App2,App3

3TS= Image+App1+App2+App3+App4+App6+App9

And then - on the day of deployment - find out there is an upgrade and I need to update all my sequences...

No, just the Application

Gruß Toni! Wenn Dir meine Antwort hilft, markiere sie bitte als Antwort! Vielen Dank!

• Edited by tonibert Sunday, May 15, 2016 4:28 PM
    Sunday, May 15, 2016 4:17 PM
  • Yeah, that's kinda the way I am working now.

But - if I understand you correctly - I still need to add an image1-app to all of the 3 sequences...

Or, when I need to completely remove a 1TS-app, I will have to delete it in all of my 3 sequences..

Sunday, May 15, 2016 4:49 PM
  • Yes, or delete the App!

Is it a problem for you to delete the app?

Or,you capture an Image with Office and Irfanview and create two Tasksequrnces

Gruß Toni! Wenn Dir meine Antwort hilft, markiere sie bitte als Antwort! Vielen Dank!

Sunday, May 15, 2016 5:02 PM
  • ...or you create a bundle with applications

Sunday, May 15, 2016 5:05 PM
  • Let me suggest 2 options:

I will start with the option I am presently using.  This involves the capturing of the images vs the deploying of the images.  Build your reference machine for image1 with the mentioned apps and them capture it.  Use image1 to build a reference machine for image2.  Install your educational software and then capture it as image2.  Build your reference machine for image3 using image2.  Install your development apps and capture for image3.  This leaves you with 3 images.  Now you can combine the 3 images into 1 image using imagex.exe /export.  Example:  imagex /export image2 1 image3 and then imagex /export image1 3 image3.  More info in imagex can be found here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749447(v=ws.10).aspx and an example can be found here of what I am talking about: http://windowsitpro.com/systems-management/managing-multiple-image-files-imagex.  When you import the combined .wim file in MDT, it will show as 3 distinct OSes.  You can then assign each OS to the task sequernce you want.  This approach has the advantage of having 1 .wim file and the file size will not grow much more than the size of the largest (image3) .wim file (has to do with how imagex handles duplicate files).  Imagex will also allow you to remove a particular image from the group if there is a need.

If you do not want to "bake" the applications into the .wim, another option I suggest is using MandatoryApplications in your customsettings.ini (assuming you use the same file for all 3 images)for the Office and irfanview applications (https://mdtguy.wordpress.com/2013/08/15/assigning-mandatory-applications-in-mdt-2012-in-the-customsettings-ini-file/).  You can then use Applications00n coupled with TaskSequenceId to direct what applications get installed with what tasksequences (Example customsettings.ini can be found here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0bffd40f-90fa-4c8f-aae2-584aeffcf5fb/mdt-2013-customsettingsini-with-multipple-applications-in-daisychained-subsections?forum=mdt)

Monday, May 16, 2016 4:03 PM