none
Windows Storage Server Essentials 2012 R2 + SBS 2008 Domain

Question

• I recently purchased one of the new Thecus N2000 Windows Storage Server Essentials 2012 R2 boxes and I'd like to integrate it into my SBS 2008 domain.  I've successfully joined it to the domain, but whenever I try to run the "Configure Windows Server Essentials" wizard I get an error "Configuration encountered some issues" "Please Click Retry.  If the issue still exists please refer to the help link for more troubleshooting steps".  Unfortunately the troubleshooting link just takes me to these forums, and I have yet to find anything in here to get this to work.  

I've tried removing the Essentials role, rebooting, re-adding the Essentials role, and re-running the "Configure Windows Server Essentials" wizard, but no good - I still continue to get the same failure.

I've read that Windows Server Essentials requires that it holds the FSMO roles and it gets angry if it doesn't hold them.  SBS 2008 also requires that *it* holds the FSMO roles though, which is what prevented me from going to Windows Server Essentials.  Windows _Storage_ Server Essentials however was billed as a different product, I'm getting conflicting information from some people saying I should be able to integrate it with my SBS 2008 domain no problem, but given the fact that I'm having so much trouble with this I'm beginning to question that.

Has anyone out there been able to add a WSSe 2012 R2 box to an SBS domain and get the two to play together nicely?  What did it take?

Wednesday, January 07, 2015 10:03 PM

Answers

• If that is the problem, why does the wizard not "test" for that, instead of showing the screen that says, you are good to go, click next.  So would KB2914651 fix it?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2914651

The post-config wizard won't let you configure the Essentials Experience role because it's unable to start the 'Windows Server Essentials Management Service' system service. This service is configured to run under the <domain>\ServerAdmin$ account. This account must have 'Log on as a service' rights.

• Go to Group Policy Management
    • Edit your policy, such as the 'Default Domain Controllers Policy'
    • Go to Computer Configuration \ Windows Settings \ Security Settings \ Local Policies \ User Rights Assignment
    • Edit 'Log on as a service' and add 2 accounts: <domain>\ServerAdmin$ and <domain>\MediaAdmin$

The ServerAdmin$ is enough to let the wizard finish the configuration. The MediaAdmin$ is needed for the 'Windows Server Essentials Media Streaming Service'.

@Scott, what I do not understand is why MS wants a NAS box with 2gb ram to be a Domain Controller.  Why not give us what we keep asking for.  A box that will run as a workgroup or join a Domain.  All we want is storage spaces and client backups :)  RWW is nice also !

Grey

• Marked as answer by Mesan Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:25 PM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 8:46 PM
  • In 2012 R2 we enabled the domain join scenario for R2 Server with the Essentials role so that it can join an existing domain, and we use the “Managed Service Account” feature to do that. This feature was introduced in Server 2008 R2 not available on 2008. (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd560633(v=ws.10).aspx , So you will get a failure when trying to configure the Essentials Experience in 2012 R2 against a 2008 domain.

The workaround is to migrate the SBS 2008 to SBS 2011+ which has the “Managed Service Account” feature.

Scott Johnson
    Windows Storage Server

SuperSquatch

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 5:30 PM

All replies

• I have not tried with this version.

Do you have any logs in either c:\programData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs or c:\windows\system32\essentials ?

Robert Pearman SBS MVP
    itauthority.co.uk | Title(Required)
    Facebook | Twitter | Linked in | Google+

Friday, January 09, 2015 1:46 PM
  • I've uploaded the logs from Windows Server\Logs here: http://1drv.ms/1xMS1rP. I couldn't find any logs in system32\essentials. When I looked through the log files I didn't see any errors that stood out, but then again I don't really know what I'm looking for either.  It'd sure be nice to get this working though...

Friday, January 09, 2015 6:30 PM
  • Hi Mesan,

à I've tried removing the Essentials role, rebooting, re-adding the Essentials role

Did you mean that Windows Server Essentials Experience role had been installed on that server? I only find that deploy Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard/Datacenter with Windows Server Essentials Experience role in an existing AD Environment. For more details, please refer to following article and check if can help you.

Deploying Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard/Datacenter with Windows Server Essentials Experience role in an Existing Active Directory Environment

If any update, please feel free to let us know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 12, 2015 6:20 AM
  • Yes, the Thecus N2000 box came with Server 2012 R2 Standard (evidently winver.exe doesn't report if a box is running Windows Storage Server, it just says Server 2012 R2 Standard) and the Windows Server Essentials role installed. I was given a tip to try uninstalling and reinstalling the Essentials role as a troubleshooting step, so in my post I was reporting that uninstalling/reinstalling the Essentials role didn't change anything. I've been told

From the "Deploying Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard/Datacenter with Windows Server Essentials Experience role in an Existing Active Directory Environment" page:

"...and the server will become the domain controller at the root of the forest and domain, holding all the FSMO roles."

That's one of the main issues at heart.  I've gotten conflicting information as to whether or not that requirement still applies with a Windows *Storage* Server Essentials in combination with a Small Business Server 2008 environment.  SBS requires that it holds all the FSMO roles, but installing the Essentials Experience role on a server looks like it requires *that* server to hold the FSMO roles. 

So, can someone authoritatively state if I'm barking up the wrong tree by trying to get a WSSe 2012 R2 to work on my existing SBS 2008 domain?  If so, I need to get a refund on this N2000 box (and MS needs to clarify their documentation).  If not, I need help figuring out why the Configure Windows Server Essentials wizard continues to "[encounter] some issues".

Monday, January 12, 2015 6:32 PM
  • The wizard will normally run fine if it is joined to a domain before you launch the wizard.  The rules as we understand them is it must be, or see a DC.  Since you are joined to a DC that meets the "see" part. Are you logged into the thecus box as the domain admin?  Is DNS of the thecus pointed at the SBS 08?

Since none of us has seen this new OS, could you post a screenshot of where you start this config

Grey

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 2:22 AM
  • Yes, I'm logged in as the domain admin.

Yes, the DNS of the thecus is pointed at the SBS 2008 domain controller.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 2:28 AM
  • So the SBS server name is SBS and the Domain name is Domain?  The IP of SBS is dot 26

That screen is the last?  Can you go ahead and post each screen from start to here

Grey

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 2:45 AM
  • Yes, the SBS is SBS, the Domain name is not "domain", I just blacked it out in the screenshot.

Yes, the IP address is .26.

I'll post the only other screen in the wizard, it's pretty simple - you click 'configure' to start the wizard and a few seconds later you get this failure screen.  The oh-so-helpful 'troubleshooting windows server essentials installation' link just takes you to this forum. 

This is what shows up as the wizard is first loading before you can do anything.

Then you get the chance to click on "Configure".  A few seconds after clicking "Configure" you get the failure screen I posted earlier.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 2:58 AM
  • well that second screen is what I wanted to see.  It says happy happy, already on a domain, go for it.

So did you search and replace domain in the log files also?  The domain name is less than 15 characters?

[3728] 141231.142723.2017: General: Test-WssConfigurationOption called
    [4136] 141231.142757.9460: General: DsGetDcName returned domain name: DOMAIN.local
    [4136] 141231.142757.9480: General: DsGetDcName returned dc name: SBS.DOMAIN.local
    [4136] 141231.142757.9480: General: DsGetDcName returned domain name: DOMAIN.local
    [4136] 141231.142757.9500: General: DsGetDcName returned domain name: DOMAIN.local
    [4136] 141231.142757.9520: General: DsGetDcName returned dc name: SBS.DOMAIN.local
    [4136] 141231.142757.9530: General: DsGetDcName returned domain name: DOMAIN.local
    [4136] 141231.142757.9550: General: DsGetDcName returned domain name: DOMAIN.local
    [4136] 141231.142757.9570: General: DsGetDcName returned dc name: SBS.DOMAIN.local
    [4136] 141231.142757.9570: General: DsGetDcName returned domain name: DOMAIN.local

Grey

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 3:03 AM
  • Where did a restriction of a domain name of less than 15 characters come from?  My domain is 19 characters before the ".local"...is that a problem?  Since when?

Oh, yes - I did a search and replace in the log files as well.  I forgot I had posted those earlier.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 3:07 AM
  • But go ahead and try this

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2013/12/04/you-may-be-unable-to-run-post-deployment-configuration-wizard-after-you-install-the-windows-server-essentials-experience-role.aspx

I think.  But I am a little confused that your machine name does not show the domain name like the screenshot in the above TechNet article

Grey

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 3:16 AM
  • Domain prefix is definitely not less than 15 characters.  SBS2003 let me put in a longer one and it's stayed longer ever since.  Not much hope of changing that now.  That'd sure be a bummer if the length of my domain name is what is preventing me from using WSSe 2012 R2. :(

I don't see any of the errors mentioned in those other threads in my event logs.  I tried adding ServerAdmin$ to that group policy object anyway, but it didn't make a difference (even after a gpupdate /force, and even after a reboot).

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 3:43 AM
  • In 2012 R2 we enabled the domain join scenario for R2 Server with the Essentials role so that it can join an existing domain, and we use the “Managed Service Account” feature to do that. This feature was introduced in Server 2008 R2 not available on 2008. (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd560633(v=ws.10).aspx , So you will get a failure when trying to configure the Essentials Experience in 2012 R2 against a 2008 domain.

The workaround is to migrate the SBS 2008 to SBS 2011+ which has the “Managed Service Account” feature.

Scott Johnson
    Windows Storage Server

SuperSquatch

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 5:30 PM
  • If that is the problem, why does the wizard not "test" for that, instead of showing the screen that says, you are good to go, click next.  So would KB2914651 fix it?

The post-config wizard won't let you configure the Essentials Experience role because it's unable to start the 'Windows Server Essentials Management Service' system service. This service is configured to run under the <domain>\ServerAdmin$ account. This account must have 'Log on as a service' rights.

• Go to Computer Configuration \ Windows Settings \ Security Settings \ Local Policies \ User Rights Assignment
    • Edit 'Log on as a service' and add 2 accounts: <domain>\ServerAdmin$ and <domain>\MediaAdmin$

The ServerAdmin$ is enough to let the wizard finish the configuration. The MediaAdmin$ is needed for the 'Windows Server Essentials Media Streaming Service'.

@Scott, what I do not understand is why MS wants a NAS box with 2gb ram to be a Domain Controller.  Why not give us what we keep asking for.  A box that will run as a workgroup or join a Domain.  All we want is storage spaces and client backups :)  RWW is nice also !

Grey

• Marked as answer by Mesan Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:25 PM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 8:46 PM

Grey

Amen!

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:25 PM
  • @mesan

Does that mean you were able to complete the wizard with the logon as edits?

<large smiley>

Grey

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:35 PM
  • Unfortunately no, I had already tried the ServerAdmin$ account GPO previously.

My hearty "Amen" was for the "What I do not understand is why MS wants a NAS box with 2gb ram to be a domain controller.  Why not give us what we keep asking for.  A box that will run as a workgroup or join a Domain.  All we want is storage spaces and client backups :) RWW is nice also!"

Well said and it entirely expresses my same feelings.  Let's hope some product manager at Microsoft is reading this thread. :)

-Jonathan

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:38 PM
  • This (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd548356.aspx) makes it sound like Server 2003 and Server 2008 can do Managed Service Accounts in addition to 2008 R2/ 2012 / 2012 R2.  Would that work in my scenario?
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:42 PM
  • I thought about AD Prep myself.  Though I think your problem is still actually the long Domain name

Grey

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:49 PM
  • What a dumb reason for this to not work, and what an *especially* dumb wizard to not be able to test for that and tell me that's the reason (assuming that's the case).  This whole thing has been a frustrating ordeal - if ReadyNAS or FreeNAS or any other product out there had good client backups I'd suuuuuure be tempted to go with them, but as it stands I continue to endure this (grudgingly). 

Now the question is, what do I do with this Thecus box I bought?  For my network it's dead weight (unless someone can pull some AD Prep magic and make it work...but even if we do get the Essentials wizard to run...won't that just start a fight between SBS 2008 and WSSe 2012 R2 over who gets to hold the FSMO roles?).  I don't know if I'll be able to return it to the vendor, there's nothing *wrong* with it.  Now what? :(  Grr....

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:57 PM
  • Hi , I have the exactly situation, SBS 2008 domain and want to join THECUS W500 to the SBS domain but i get the wizard error .

What can i do ? thanks  Mario

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 5:43 PM
  • How long is your domain name?

Did you check the logon as stuff?

Grey

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 8:19 PM
  • Hi Grey, thanks<o:p></o:p>

the domain name have 13 characters.<o:p></o:p>

the logon stuff... yes I check , in "run as a
    service" I have  added  domain\Administrator account. but does
    NOT resolve, I get the same error again

Do you think I have to open a support case at Microsoft Italia ?

thanks ciao Mario

Thursday, January 29, 2015 3:16 PM
  • Well the fellow from Microsoft above said it will not work with anything less than 2008R2.  I have not had a chance to test this yet. 

Grey

Thursday, January 29, 2015 3:30 PM
  • Ok, you should have tons of backups or build a test lab.  But I loaded server 08 in a vm and server2012R2 in a VM

Made 08 a DC, joined 2012R2 to the 08 domain.  Installed the essentials role and the post config failed immediately no errors.  I attached the 2012R2 disc to the 08 vm and did adprep /forestprep  then adprep /domainprep

then I ran the essentials post config and it did not complain and completed.

I will start everything from scratch soonish to verify, but if you have a test lab you can give it a go yourself.

PS: My domain name is 4 char this round

Grey

Saturday, January 31, 2015 2:55 AM
  • I don't believe just testing Server 08 will be enough, it's got to be SBS 2008. Server 08 doesn't care who has the FSMO roles, but SBS 2008 does (at least that's my understanding).
    Saturday, January 31, 2015 3:55 PM
  • The essentials role does not require it to hold the fsmo roles.  The Essentials role is available for any server 2012R2 in a domain

S08 is Server 08

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator>netdom query fsmo
    Schema master               S08.TS08.local
    Domain naming master        S08.TS08.local
    PDC                         S08.TS08.local
    RID pool manager            S08.TS08.local
    Infrastructure master       S08.TS08.local
    The command completed successfully.

C:\Users\Administrator>

Though you are correct, SBS wants the FSMO roles and can keep it

Grey

Saturday, January 31, 2015 4:16 PM
  • Or Susan says try this:

You don't need to up the schema though, merely adding that right will do it.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2014/03/31/windows-server-2012-r2-essentials-migration-keys-to-success.aspx

15. Check the "Log on as Batch job" user right assignment on the Default Domain Controllers group policy.

1. Launch gpmc.msc
    2. Expand Forest, Domains, your domain, Domain      Controllers, and select the Default Domain Controllers Policy.
    3. Click on the Settings tab and expand Computer      Configuration, Policies, Windows Settings, Security Settings, Local      Policies/User Rights Assignment.
    4. Find the "Log on as batch job" right, and      make sure that you have an entry for BULTIN\Administrators

If you don't have that entry, do a right-click edit on top of the policy on the left pane, navigate to the location you just checked and edit the right to add the missing value.

Grey

Sunday, February 01, 2015 8:53 PM
  • Thanks you for the numerous trials in order to solve the problem of adding THECUS W5000 to the SBS 2008 domain. I tried all yours solutions without being able to correctly complete the installation wizard of Windows 2012 experience. I don't find any error log in the 2012 server. Although I saw that I can uninstall the role...

However I added Windows 2012 to SBS 2008 domain and this allows me to properly set user share by the users the server 2012 get from SBS domain which is the main function necessary for the use of the device. I hope that someone will find a permanent solution. Thanks ciao Mario

Saturday, February 07, 2015 10:19 AM
  • Hi Mario, I'm considering a Thecus NAS wtih Storage Server 2012 R2 Essentials for a client running SBS 2011.  For me, the wizard completed successfully, but it installed AD DS (without DC promotion) and AD CS.  I'm undecided on whether to run it as a DC - i'm worried it will try and own the FSMO roles and break SBS.  Has your scenario of just joining it to the domain and not running the wizard worked out OK with your SBS domain?  thanks, Ray

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 9:19 AM
  • You should reset your Thecus with the iso download.  When it boots to the wizard cancel/exit and join the domain.  Then when you reboot and the wizard starts it will say you are joined to a domain and be what you want

Grey

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 1:19 PM
  • Hey Grey, thanks for your input - I actually did reset the unit using the Thecus ISO.  I actually have a loan unit from a supplier which i'm testing as i was unsure about the whole domain membership vibe and SBS.  I did what you suggested, but on reboot and running the wizard again (after manual domain join), it still installed AD DS (without promoting the DC) and AD CS.  It didn't give me any options - just a general message about configuring the server etc. 

My thinking is to reset it again, and just uninstall the Essentials Experience role so that the wizard is gone for good.  But i'm not sure if this has any other implications on the Essentials license / activation / features.  I basically just need a cheap Windows NAS with bitlocker that i can join to an existing domain.  I'll robocopy the data to another site at night and offload to tape for backups.  thanks, Ray

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 1:27 PM
  • It probably will be a DC but will not try to take over.  You may get an msg it is not but you can ignore it

Thecus used to have some convoluted FAQ on removing the role.  In reality not being the primary DC is a violation of the EULA in either case

That said the Seagate unit actually had a step/option to join the domain first, so who knows or cares.

Grey

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 1:43 PM
  • Hey Grey, a belated thank you for your response.  I read through the EULA but didn't find any reference to the terms of use WRT whether the Essentials box must be the FSMO role holder.  I need to return the loan unit to the supplier, but we've opted to buy one as i think either way it should meet the client's needs.  Ray
    Monday, January 08, 2018 8:37 AM
  • Hello Raymond,

You may want to read http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/3/9/F39124F7-0177-463C-8A08-582463F96C9D/Windows_Server_2012_R2_Licensing_Datasheet.pdf. Page 4 and 5 explain this clearly "Must be root of ADDS forest and domain and have all FSMO roles". 

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Migrations done the easy way, migrate from SBS 2003, 2008 or 2011 to Windows Server 2016 and Office 365

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by Mariette Knap Wednesday, January 10, 2018 11:01 AM
    Wednesday, January 10, 2018 11:01 AM
  • Hi Mariëtte, thanks for your comment.  Isn't Storage Server 2012 R2 Essentials a different Edition to Server 2012 R2 Essentials though?  I know it was released subsequent to it.  There is no mention of Storage Server in the doc. For this client, i could probably look at migrating them off their SBS server anyway as we're aiming to move them to 365 for mail, and I don't think they're really using SharePoint.  
    Wednesday, January 10, 2018 11:32 AM
  • Storage Server is a different animal and created by the OEM team at MS that does have it's own rules.  It is generally a given that Essentials SKU's are to hold FSMO roles.  That said OEM products may be different and as I said earlier in this thread both vendors of the product Seagate and Thecus offered guidance on joining a domain and not holding the roles.

Too further confuse the issue there does not seem to be a EULA for the product.  The one that is in the Thecus unit (Computer>properties>Read the license) Is for Server Standard and is just wrong.

Grey

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 1:46 PM
  • Thanks Grey... seems like detailed info on Storage Essentials is very hard to find.  All good, either way i think we can make a plan in our case.  We placed an order for a Thecus (the smallest one) today.  Thanks for taking the time... 
    Wednesday, January 10, 2018 2:19 PM
  • Just curious, are you down under?  They are very hard to find here un the US of A

Grey

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 2:24 PM
  • No - I'm in Durban, South Africa  :-)  Our local supplier is Rectron - http://www.rectron.co.za/.  
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 5:58 AM