anyway to pull a wss 3 list from an old sharepoint database? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone!

Recently our wss 3 installation broke down with multiple errors, realy nothing helped....

Reinstalled, and then tried to restore the backup from the previous installation. didn't work out and here's the problem:

i still have my old databases (content DB, config DB etc). the only data important to us is a list which i believe exist in the old database. is there any way that i can pull that data\list and merge it with the current installation?

Many thanks ahead and sorry for my English mistakes if any...

btw db tybe is windows internal database

• Edited by NachumElla Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:24 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:09 AM

Answers

• Thank you guys very much!

After a bit of playing around with the db, i finally managed to make it work, but only 1 problem remains:

The old list was part of a sub-site, i managed to access by just typing its url.

Now how do i access the list? while trying to access it, it gives me a 404

edit - got that!! you guys rule!

Monday, October 3, 2011 8:45 AM

All replies

• HI,

What error you get after restoration? Have you tried running the configuration wizard?

If not then run the configuration wizard and then observe.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:36 AM
  • Hi,

If you have content database with you then there is no need to bother. You can restore .bak file to your sql server. Now create new web application and attache this content DB with newly created web application. later on you can take list back from the site.

Here is very useful link with steps for your information:

http://metahat.blogspot.com/2008/11/backup-restoring-sharepoint-2007-site.html

Hope it could help

Cheers, Hemendra-MCTS "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:45 AM
  • many many thanks!

Rashu,Rahul, i have tried what you said but it didnt succeed =\

before i try any of the above, a little question - i have added the old content database, and in "manage content databases" its shows the name of the old database, and in "current number of sites" it shows 1. so i guess it mounted the database but how do i get my hands on that list?

• Edited by NachumElla Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:54 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:51 AM
  • Once you attache you content DB with newly created web application and then you open your site so you should be able to see old site structure with all contents as it was previously.

Now you can take backup of your list OR move list item to another site / farm.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:58 AM
  • Well i have followed your orders and cant find that list. the new web app looks just like a brand new one. tried to go through site hierarchy but couldn't find it.

well i just noticed something - the old config DB (well the log actually, like the backups didn't go through well) is 2.1 GB in size, while the old content DB (also log) is 265 MB in size. how could that be?

• Edited by NachumElla Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:15 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:12 PM
  • Have you remove the existing content database from web application before attaching new content database. Here is the steps you need to follow

1. Create a web application and create a site collection

2. Remove the existing content DB from your application and add new content DB from Central Admin via the Content Database management options.

stsadm -o addcontentdb -url http://yourwebapp:port -databasename yourcontentdb -databaseserver yoursqlserver

refer the below URL for more information:

http://geekswithblogs.net/WorldofTray/archive/2010/02/23/how-to-connect-to-a-restored-content-database-in-sharepoint.aspx

Let us know your result

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Ihave tried that in a different ways, still doesn't work. the last time i did it, it said it cannot connect to the configuration database.

btw, how about this: http://blog.krichie.com/2008/07/06/exporting-site-content-from-a-sharepoint-content-database-for-recovery-purposes/

• Edited by NachumElla Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:04 AM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:44 AM
  • Lets look at some basic trouble shooting then: -

1 - Are you trying to restore to the same version of WSS?  Are you able to confirm that the patch numbers were the same?

If you're unable to find it, then run this statement against your WSS_Content database.  It will list 2 versions, the top one being the MOSS version, the bottom being the WSS version.  Compare the values given to youur current deployment and fix if needed.

SELECT [VersionId]
          ,[Version]
          ,[Id]
          ,[UserName]
          ,[TimeStamp]
          ,[FinalizeTimeStamp]
          ,[Mode]
          ,[ModeStack]
          ,[Updates]
          ,[Notes]
      FROM [WSS_Content].[dbo].[Versions]

2 - Try running an STSADM enum sites against the link.

3 - When this happened to me, I added the content database to an application rather then replacing the current one.  I was then able to navigate to the old sub-sites and get that content, despite the fact the configuration database still didn't recognise the reattached sites.

Please try these and let us know how it works out.

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:09 AM
    Answerer
  • 1) Both Versions are identical. both are 12.0.0.6421 and 3.1.8.0

2) Tried that... meh

I've downloaded SysTools Sharepoint Recovery and mounted the database, and it shows the old site and list, and the documents associated with that unrecoverable list. that was a big relief seeing that. it wont let me export though as it is a demo version, but at least i know it is there.

The app pool doesn't work now for some reason, so i will have to check that out also (meh).

In the meantime, have you heard or know of a way to recover that list by a query or something like that?!

many thanks steven and hemendra i am very gratefull!

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:46 AM
  • >have you heard or know of a way to recover that list by a query or something like that?!

Just check below uRL if it can help you. There is sql query to get list data from content database.

http://www.sharepointkings.com/2008/07/run-sql-queries-and-fetch-list-data_10.html

http://mossforsure.blogspot.com/2010/03/some-useful-sharepoint-2007-content.html

But better approach is, Just try to restore your DB and attach with your web application. Make sure you have proper admin right to do all the things.

Hope everything will be fine

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:17 AM
  • Thank you guys very much!

After a bit of playing around with the db, i finally managed to make it work, but only 1 problem remains:

The old list was part of a sub-site, i managed to access by just typing its url.

Now how do i access the list? while trying to access it, it gives me a 404

edit - got that!! you guys rule!

Monday, October 3, 2011 8:45 AM
  • Nice to hear that you are able to restore your site successfully.

Are you able to access application pages like _layouts/viewlsts.aspx? If yes then just try to open your list form that page and save it as template. After that you can create new list orelse you can use same list.

Monday, October 3, 2011 9:42 AM