Management console window always starts with an Action Pane. RRS feed

• Question

• Many management console windows (like Disk Management) start up with an Action Pane. This didn't happen with XP.

I can get rid of it by clicking View > Customize, but the next time I start one, the Action Pane is BAAACK. Is there a fix?

It's particularly troubling for me in the Disk Management window because I have so many partitions it's difficult to see them all even without an action pane.

By the way, I think it is misnamed. Instead of Action pane, I would call it a Pane in the A

ƩƩ.

• Edited by FastSteve Tuesday, November 3, 2009 12:46 AM
    Monday, November 2, 2009 7:20 PM

Answers

• Type diskmgmt.msc in the search box of the Start menu and hit ENTER. This should open Disk Management without an Action pane.

If you need to open this tool frequently, you can also create a shortcut and pin it to the taskbar.
    Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, November 2, 2009 10:23 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Type diskmgmt.msc in the search box of the Start menu and hit ENTER. This should open Disk Management without an Action pane.

If you need to open this tool frequently, you can also create a shortcut and pin it to the taskbar.
    Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, November 2, 2009 10:23 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks.  I now have it pinned to the start menu.  No friggin' action pane, and the window comes up stretched out so I can see everything. 

I don't know if I could do that by running diskmgmt.msc directly.  I created a new console window I can modify and save, by running mmc.exe.  Then I added diskmgmt.msc to it.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 1:32 AM